Human Relations Commission
The function of the Human Relations Commission is to foster mutual respect and understanding and to create an atmosphere conducive to the promotion of amicable relations among all members of the Boulder community.
The Human Relations Commission strives to:
- Celebrate and encourage understanding of the diversity of the city's population;
- Encourage education programs with the potential to change ideas and attitudes;
- Conduct research to define key issues in the community in order to suggest appropriate changes to ordinances and policies; and
- Enforce the City of Boulder's Human Rights Ordinance that prohibits discrimination by serving as a quasi-judicial hearing board for human rights ordinance cases.
Bias Motivated Crime Sentence Enhancements
Reflecting community feedback, including but not limited to, the Community Perceptions Assessment, Human Relations Commission public hearings, and comments shared with City Council, the City Attorney’s Office has finalized language for an ordinance addressing sentence enhancements for bias motivated crimes. A summary of key points as well as the full ordinance text may be found here:
First reading of this ordinance was held by City Council on Aug. 6, 2019. Council public hearing was held on Aug. 27, 2019.
The Human Relations Commission generally meets the third Monday of the month at 6 p.m. in City Council Chambers, 1777 Broadway.
- Staff Liaison: Clay Fong at 303-441-3141
- Board Secretary: Mari Camacho at 303-441-4389
Human Relations Commission Members
|NAME||CONTACT INFORMATION||PHONE||APPOINTMENT DATES|
Nikhil Mankekar, Chairperson
|Lindsey Loberg, Deputy Chairperson
(they, them, theirs)
(he, him, his)
Sharon Simmons (with assistance
(they, them, theirs)
Next Human Relations Commission Meetings
Next Regular Meeting Date: Monday, October 21, 6 p.m.
Location: Council Chambers, 1777 Broadway, Boulder
2019 Human Relations Commission Meeting Dates
|MEETING DATE AND TYPE||AGENDA|
|Jan. 28 2019 - Regular Meeting||01-28-19 HRC Agenda|
|Feb. 25, 2019 - Regular Meeting||02-25-19 HRC Agenda|
|March 25, 2019 Regular Meeting||03-25-19 HRC Agenda|
|April 3, 2019 Special Event||HRC Educational Tour of the Boulder Shelter for the Homeless|
|April 15, 2019 Regular Meeting||04-15-19 HRC Agenda|
|May 20, 2019 Regular Meeting||05-20-19 HRC Agenda|
|June 17, 2019 Regular Meeting||06-17-19 HRC Agenda|
|July 15, 2019 Regular Meeting||07-15-19 HRC Agenda|
|Aug. 19, 2019 Regular Meeting||08-19-19 HRC Agenda|
|Sept. 16, 2019 Regular Meeting||09-16-19 HRC Agenda|
|Oct. 21, 2019 Regular Meeting||
|Nov. 18, 2019 Regular Meeting||11-18-19 HRC Agenda|
|Dec. 9, 2019 Regular Meeting||
|11-18-19 HRC Agenda|