Human Relations Commission
The function of the Human Relations Commission is to foster mutual respect and understanding and to create an atmosphere conducive to the promotion of amicable relations among all members of the Boulder community.
The Human Relations Commission strives to:
- Celebrate and encourage understanding of the diversity of the city's population;
- Encourage education programs with the potential to change ideas and attitudes;
- Conduct research to define key issues in the community in order to suggest appropriate changes to ordinances and policies; and
- Enforce the City of Boulder's Human Rights Ordinance that prohibits discrimination by serving as a quasi-judicial hearing board for human rights ordinance cases.
Bias Motivated Crime Sentence Enhancements
Reflecting community feedback, including but not limited to, the Community Perceptions Assessment, Human Relations Commission public hearings, and comments shared with City Council, the City Attorney’s Office has finalized language for an ordinance addressing sentence enhancements for bias motivated crimes. A summary of key points as well as the full ordinance text may be found here:
First reading of this ordinance was held by City Council on Aug. 6, 2019. Council public hearing was held on Aug. 27, 2019.
The Human Relations Commission generally meets the third Monday of the month at 6 p.m. in City Council Chambers, 1777 Broadway.
Join the meeting:
Meeting ID: Password:
OR Dial in: +1 346 248 7799
- ommission Email : [email protected]
- Staff Liaison: Clay Fong, [email protected] , 303-441-3141
- Board Secretary: Mari Camacho, [email protected] , 303-441-4389
The Human Relations Commission consists of five members appointed by City Council, each to a five-year term.
Human Relations Commission Members
|NAME||CONTACT INFORMATION||PHONE||APPOINTMENT DATES|
Jean Hilaire Rejouis
|Lindsey Loberg, Chair
(they, them, theirs)
|Art Figel, Deputy Chairperson
(he, him, his)
Sharon Simmons (with assistance
(they, them, theirs)
Human Relations Commission Meetings
Regular Meetings occur the third Monday of each month beginning at 6:00 p.m.
Location: 1777 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80302 - Municipal Building, 2nd Floor
2020 Human Relations Commission Meeting Dates
|MEETING DATE AND TYPE||AGENDA|
|Jan. 29, 2020 - Regular Meeting||01-29-20 HRC Agenda|
|Feb. 24, 2020 - Regular Meeting||02-24-20 HRC Agenda|
|March 16, 2020 - Regular Meeting||CANCELLED|
|April 20, 2020 - Regular Meeting||CANCELLED|
|May 18, 2020 - Regular Meeting||CANCELLED|
|June 29, 2020 - Virtual Meeting||06.29.20 HRC/HAB Agenda|
|July 20, 2020 - (Retreat)||CANCELLED|
|Aug. 04, 2020 - (Retreat) Virtual||08-04-20 HRC Retreat Agenda|
|Aug. 17, 2020 (Continuation of the retreat) Virtual Meeting||08-17-20 HRC Agenda|
|Aug. 24, 2020 - Virtual Meeting||08-24-20 HRC Agenda|
|Sept. 21, 2020||09-21-20 HRC Agenda|
|Oct. 19, 2020|
|Nov. 16, 2020||11-16-20 HRC Agenda|
|Dec. 14, 2020|