Next Landmarks Board Meeting
The Landmarks Board meets monthly to review applications for demolition, landmark designation, and Landmark Alteration Certificates. Visit the About the Landmarks Board page for more information.
Landmarks Board Meeting
Wednesday, August 1 starting at 6 p.m.
1777 Broadway, Municipal Building, City Council Chambers
1. Call to Order
2. Approval of minutes from the June 6, 2018 meeting
3. Public Participation for Non-Public Hearing Items
4. Discussion of Landmark Alteration, Demolition Applications issued and pending
• Statistical Report
• Parks and Recreation department update on the Harbeck-Bergheim House
• 3201 8th St. – Demolition permit application withdrawn June 14, 2018
5. Public Hearings
A. Public hearing and consideration of a motion to adopt a resolution to initiate the process for the designation of the property at 3201 8th St. as an individual landmark pursuant to Section 9-11-3, B.R.C. 1981. Owner: Jeanne and Steven Hoerter / Applicant: City of Boulder Landmarks Board
B. Public hearing and consideration of a permit to demolish the house located at 532 Arapahoe Ave., a non-landmarked building over 50 years old, pursuant to Section 9-11-23 of the Boulder Revised Code, 1981 (HIS2018-00111). Owner / Applicant: Julie McCabe
C. Public hearing and consideration of a Landmark Alteration Certificate to rehabilitate and construct additions to the Silver Saddle Motel cabins and office building at 90 Arapahoe Ave., a pending individual landmark, per section 9-11-18 of the Boulder Revised Code (HIS2018-00069). Owner: Curtis McDonald, Canyon Creek Villas, LLC – 90 Arapahoe / Applicant: Tim Laughlin, Surround Architecture
D. Public hearing and consideration of a Landmark Alteration Certificate to demolish an existing non-contributing house and, in its place, construct a new 1,620 sq. ft. house and demolish a 110 sq. ft. shed and construct a free-standing 500 sq. ft., two-car garage at 531 Maxwell Ave. in the Mapleton Hill Historic District, pursuant to Section 9-11-18 of the Boulder Revised Code, 1981 (HIS2018-00204). Owner: Elizabeth Garnsey / Applicant: Joel Smiley
6. Matters from the Landmarks Board, Planning Department, and City Attorney
A. Update Memo and Recently Approved Landmark Alteration Certificates
B. Draft Procedures for the Landmarks Design Review Committee (LDRC)
C. Subcommittee Updates
7. Debrief Meeting/Calendar Check
PUBLIC HEARING PROCEDURES
Board members who will be present are:
Eric Budd, Chair
Liz Payton *Planning Board representative without a vote
The Landmarks Board is constituted under the Landmarks Presentation Ordinance (Ordinance No. 4721; Title 9, Chapter 11, Boulder Revised Code, 1981) to designate landmarks and historic districts, and to review and approve applications for Landmark Alteration Certificates on such buildings or in such districts.
Public hearing items will be conducted in the following manner:
1. Board members will explain all ex-parte contacts they may have had regarding the item.*
2. Those who wish to address the issue (including the applicant, staff members and public) are sworn in.
3. A historic preservation staff person will present a recommendation to the board.
4. Board members will ask any questions to historic preservation staff.
5. The applicant will have a maximum of 10 minutes to make a presentation or comments to the board.
6. The public hearing provides any member of the public three minutes within which to make comments and ask questions of the applicant, staff and board members.
7. After the public hearing is closed, there is discussion by board members, during which the chair of the meeting may permit board questions to and answers from the staff, the applicant, or the public.
8. Board members will vote on the matter; an affirmative vote of at least three members of the board is required for approval. The motion will state: Findings and Conclusions.
* Ex-parte contacts are communications regarding the item under consideration that a board member may have had with someone prior to the meeting.
All City of Boulder board meetings are digitally recorded and are available from the Central Records office at (303) 441-3043. A full audio transcript of the Landmarks Board meeting becomes available on the city of Boulder website approximately ten days after a meeting. Action minutes are also prepared by a staff person and are available approximately one month after a meeting.