The Library Commission was established in 1917 in the Charter of the city of Boulder, Colorado: Article IX: Advisory Commissions , Sections 130, 132-134.
The function of the commission is further defined in the Boulder Revised Code (BRC), 2-3-8 Library Commission .
- The library commission of the City of Boulder consists of five members appointed by the city council for five-year terms.
- The City Charter gives the Library Commission the following powers:
- Adopt bylaws, rules, or policies for its guidance and governance;
- Provide advice to assist in preparation and revision of a master plan for the development and maintenance of a modern library system within the city;
- Review annually the library budget prepared by the library director prior to its submittal to the city manager and make recommendations regarding approval or modification of the same;
- Review periodically the library director's operational service plans and make comments and recommendations;
- Make recommendations to the library director and the city council on library facilities, including capital improvements, maintenance of existing facilities, and need for new facilities;
- Review the library director's annual report and make comments and recommendations;
- Represent the library to the community and the community to the library with the goal of building awareness, understanding and support;
- Take steps as the library commission may deem feasible to encourage grants or gifts in support of the library; and
- Oversee specific monies within the Library Fund that originate from gifts, bequests or donations.
The Library Commission generally meets the first Wednesday of the month at 6 p.m. at the Main Library, 1001 Arapahoe Ave, in the Canyon Meeting Room.
- Director of Library & Arts - David Farnan at 303-441-3104
- Staff Liaison - Maureen Malone at 303-441-3106
The Library Commission consists of five members appointed by City Council, each to a five-year term.
Library Commission Members
|Alicia Gibb (chair)||firstname.lastname@example.org||2014-2018|
|Joni Teter (vice chair)||email@example.com||303-499-8970||2014-2019|
Upcoming Commission Meetings
The Library Commission generally meets the first Wednesday of the month at 6 p.m.
- May 3, 2017 - Main Library, 1001 Arapahoe Ave., Canyon Meeting Room
- June 7, 2017 - Carnegie Branch Library, 1125 Pine Street
- July 15, 2017 - Annual Retreat, Location TBD
- August 2, 2017 - Main Library, 1001 Arapahoe Ave., Canyon Meeting Room
- September 6, 2017- Main Library, 1001 Arapahoe Ave., Canyon Meeting Room
- October 4, 2017 - George Reynolds Branch, 3595 Table Mesa Dr.
- November 1, 2017 - Main Library, 1001 Arapahoe Ave., Canyon Meeting Room
- December 6, 2017 - Main Library, 1001 Arapahoe Ave., Canyon Meeting Room