The Library Commission was established in 1917 in the Charter of the city of Boulder, Colorado: Article IX: Advisory Commissions , Sections 130, 132-134.
The function of the commission is further defined in the Boulder Revised Code (BRC), 2-3-8 Library Commission .
- The library commission of the City of Boulder consists of five members appointed by the city council for five-year terms.
- The City Charter gives the Library Commission the following powers:
- Adopt bylaws, rules, or policies for its guidance and governance;
- Provide advice to assist in preparation and revision of a master plan for the development and maintenance of a modern library system within the city;
- Review annually the library budget prepared by the library director prior to its submittal to the city manager and make recommendations regarding approval or modification of the same;
- Review periodically the library director's operational service plans and make comments and recommendations;
- Make recommendations to the library director and the city council on library facilities, including capital improvements, maintenance of existing facilities, and need for new facilities;
- Review the library director's annual report and make comments and recommendations;
- Represent the library to the community and the community to the library with the goal of building awareness, understanding and support;
- Take steps as the library commission may deem feasible to encourage grants or gifts in support of the library; and
- Oversee specific monies within the Library Fund that originate from gifts, bequests or donations.
The Library Commission generally meets the first Wednesday of the month at 6 p.m. at the Main Library, 1001 Arapahoe Ave, in the Canyon Meeting Room .
- Director of Library and Arts - David Farnan at 303-441-3104
The Library Commission consists of five members appointed by City Council, each to a five-year term.
Library Commission Members
|Juana Gomez (chair)||[email protected]||
|Joel Koenig (vice chair)||[email protected]||720-979-1104||2017-2022|
|Jane Sykes-Wilson||[email protected]||2018-2023|
|Steven Frost||[email protected]||2019-2024|
Upcoming Commission Meetings
The Library Commission generally meets the first Wednesday of the month at 6 p.m.
- Aug. 5, 2020 - REMOTE MEETING*
- Sept. 2, 2020 - REMOTE MEETING*
- Oct. 7, 2020 - REMOTE MEETING*
- Nov. 4, 2020 - REMOTE MEETING*
- Dec. 2, 2020 - REMOTE MEETING*
*In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and restrictions on group meetings, the Library Commission will be convening through virtual meeting. Please contact staff if you would like to provide public comment either by email or joining the meeting link. This meeting is open to the public. If you have questions about the meeting feel free to contact Celia Seaton: [email protected].
The City of Boulder is committed to its core value of community safety and is proactively taking steps to limit potential social spreading of COVID-19. For more information about the city and COVID-19, visit https://bouldercolorado.gov/coronavirus.