CU South Annexation
Looking for information about South Boulder Creek flood mitigation project? Visit the project page.
Where we are and what's next
The University of Colorado Boulder submitted an annexation application for their South Campus (“CU South”) in February 2019, and city staff issued a response in March. Council members Carlisle and Yates are now guiding the development of a community engagement strategy through their work on the CU South Process Subcommittee.
Please note meeting dates are subject to change; this page will be updated as changes to the schedule are made.
- Sept. 6 (tentative): The CU South Process Subcommittee will hold its regular meeting, if necessary.
- Sept. 11: The Open Space Board of Trustees will discuss the CU South project and provide feedback to staff.
- Oct. 4: CU South Process Subcommittee
- Nov. 1: CU South Process Subcommittee
- Aug. 13: Staff presented updated timelines for the annexation negotiations and flood mitigation planning. CU Boulder representatives also addressed City Council.
- Aug. 14: The Open Space Board of Trustees held a study session to discuss the project and the approach for its Sept. 11 meeting.
- On July 16, City Council directed staff to continue work on the floodwall concept along the US36 CDOT right-of-way and engage the city’s Open Space Board of Trustees around options for mitigating the subsequent impacts to city open space. Council also directed staff to explore changes in the flood mitigation design storm and land use designations to satisfy the university’s interest in 129 acres of land designated Public.
- On Aug. 2, the CU South Process Subcommittee held its regular monthly meeting (more details below). Notes from the meeting will be posted soon.
- Public comments since July 22, 2019.
About CU South
With the approval of the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan Update in 2017, the City of Boulder and Boulder County approved new land use designations and guiding principles for the CU South property. The guiding principles are now incorporated into Chapter 5 of the comprehensive plan and will be used to guide future decisions around annexation of CU South. The city is working to determine the conditions of annexation for “CU South” under which the University of Colorado’s South Campus would fulfill both the desires of the University system and meet the goals of the City of Boulder. The annexation agreement will be guided by the BVCP CU South Guiding Principles, and a modified annexation process that will provide opportunities to influence the annexation terms through city boards and commissions and the city council meetings.
If annexed, the CU South would come under the city's jurisdiction like the other campuses. Utility services also could be extended to the site. Annexation would not mean the city would own the site. Visit the CU Boulder project web page for frequently asked questions and more.
You can review CU Boulder's annexation application materials that were submitted on Feb. 4, 2019. You can also now review staff's response to the application materials.
- 1996: Flatiron Companies sells the CU South property to CU Boulder (previously used for sand/gravel mining).
- 2000 – 2015: In response to requests by the university, the city opts to not consider changing the comprehensive plan land use designations for CU South until the “South Boulder Creek Floodplain Study is completed and there are further discussions with the university on the proposed development for the site.”
- 2015: City Council approves the South Boulder Creek Flood Mitigation Plan. The plan includes regional detention of flood water upstream of U.S. 36 on the CU South campus and along Colorado Department of Transportation right of way. With the flood mitigation plan adopted, the city reinitiates land use designation changes as part of the 2015 BVCP Major Update.
- 2017: The City of Boulder and Boulder County jointly adopts an update to the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan, including the CU South Guiding Principles.
- 2019: CU Boulder submits an annexation application.
Contact Us about CU South or the Flood Mitigation Project
For more information about the CU South Annexation, contact Phil Kleisler, planner, at 303-441-4497
To learn more about the South Boulder Creek Major Drainageway and Flood Mitigation Plan, visit the flood mitigation project page or contact Douglas Sullivan, Principal Engineer, at 303-441-3244 or [email protected]