CU South: Status
On Oct. 9, 2018, there was a council study session that discussed the future annexation process for CU South with City Council and University of Colorado Boulder staff. You can review the study session memo and the study session summary.
On Monday, Oct. 1, the City of Boulder received a letter from the University of Colorado outlining their requirements for the site and the proposed community benefit they will offer. This letter will help guide the Study Session discussion on Oct. 9.
With the approval of the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan Update, the City of Boulder and Boulder County approved new land use designations and guiding principles for the CU South property. The guiding principles are now incorporated into Chapter 5 of the 2015 Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan.
About CU South
As part of the 2015 Major Update to the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan (BVCP), the land use designations for the University of Colorado Boulder's "CU South" property were amended to include a mix of Open Space – Other, Public and Park, Urban & Other. Following extensive community engagement and technical analysis, the Boulder City Council, Planning Board, Boulder County Board of County Commissioners and Planning Commission approved the new land use designations and guiding principles that enable the city and CU Boulder to begin planning for future uses on the site, such as flood mitigation, open space preservation and university uses.
If annexed, the CU South would come under the city's jurisdiction like the rest of CU's campus. Utility services also could be extended to the site. Annexation would not mean the city would own the site. Visit CU Boulder project webpage for frequently asked questions and more.
- Aug. 10 - Staff provides brief update to Open Space Board of Trustees (O.S.B.T.) about the process and timeline
- Sept. 13 - Staff briefs City Council about update before study session
- Sept. 14 - Staff presents initial findings of suitability study to O.S.B.T. (6 p.m., Municipal Building, 1777 Broadway)
- Sept. 15 - Staff presents initial findings of suitability study to Planning Board (6 p.m., Municipal Building, 1777 Broadway), with open house before meeting
- Sept. 26 - Public open house to review and give input on engagement process, analysis and draft site suitability analysis
- Oct. 20 - Planning Board discusses process and initial suitability analysis (continued discussion in December and January)
- Dec. 5 - CU South community event (6 – 8 p.m., CU Boulder Campus, SEEC Building)
- Dec. 15 - Boulder Planning Board receives updates on analysis, flood mitigation background information, and public input
- Jan. 11 - Boulder Open Space Board of Trustees discussion about initial land use recommendation related to open space land use
- Jan. 19 - Planning Board discussion about initial land use recommendation and topics for city/CU agreement(s)
- Jan. 24 - City Council and Planning Board joint study session to review and discuss analysis; initial discussion of land use change and topics for city/CU agreement(s)
- April 3 - Community Event (6 – 8:30 p.m., CU Boulder Campus, SEEC Building)
- April 6 – Planning Board study session to provide input on land use options
- April 11 – City Council Study Session to provide input on land use options
- April 12 – Open Space Board of Trustees public hearing for land use concept recommendation
- April 27 – County Parks & Open Space Advisory Committee to review and provide input on changes to the comprehensive plan that affect an area designated Open Space.
- June 15 - Planning Board will discuss CU South land use map changes.
- June 28 - Boulder County Board of County Commissioners and Planning Commission is scheduled to hold a joint public hearing on adoption of the draft plan, including CU South.
- July 11 - City Council is scheduled to deliberate and vote on CU South land use map changes.
- July 13- Planning Board is scheduled to deliberate and vote on CU South changes.
- July 19 - Boulder County Planning Commission is scheduled to deliberate and vote on the BVCP, including CU South.
- July 26 - Boulder County Board of County Commissioners is scheduled to vote on the BVCP, including CU South.
Contact Us about CU South or the Flood Plan
For more information, contact Phil Kleisler, planner, 303-441-4497. To learn more about the South Boulder Creek Major Drainageway and Flood Mitigation Plan, visit www.southbouldercreek.com or contact Kurt Bauer, engineering project manager, 303-441-4232.