On Monday, May 20, the city received a letter addressing flood mitigation issues and a response from CU to comments the city made in a March 28, 2019 letter.
On Monday, June 3, from 9:15 to 10:15 a.m. the Process Subcommittee for engagement related to CU South annexation and the South Boulder Creek flood mitigation project will meet. The meeting is open to the public and will take place in Room W-100 of the Municipal Building (1777 Broadway).
Upcoming Council and Board Meetings
- June 4: City Council will discuss the ongoing work of the CU South Process Subcommittee under Matters.
- August 1: Planning Board will discuss CU South Annexation.
- August 13: Council will hold a study session with university representatives.
You can review CU Boulder's annexation application materials that were submitted on Feb. 4, 2019. You can also now review staff’s response to the application materials. Additional information, including future meetings and next steps, will be posted to this page once confirmed.
- Land Use Review Application
- Sign Posting Requirements
- Property's Legal Description
- Map of Surrounding Vicinity
- Written Statement by CU on Annexation
- Annexation Map
- Annexation Petition
- Utility Plan
- Project Fact Sheet
- Title Insurance
- Annexation/Initial Zoning Attachment
With the approval of the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan Update, the City of Boulder and Boulder County approved new land use designations and guiding principles for the CU South property. The guiding principles are now incorporated into Chapter 5 of the 2015 Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan and will be used to guide future decisions around annexation of CU South. The city is working to determine the conditions of annexation for “CU South” under which the University of Colorado’s South Campus would fulfill both the desires of the University system and meet the goals of the City of Boulder. The annexation agreement will be guided by the BVCP CU South Guiding Principles, and a modified annexation process that will provide opportunities to influence the annexation terms through city boards and commissions and the city council meetings.
On Oct. 9, 2018, there was a council study session that discussed the future annexation process for CU South with City Council and University of Colorado Boulder staff. You can review the study session memo and the study session summary.
On Oct. 1, the City of Boulder received a letter from the University of Colorado outlining their requirements for the site and the proposed community benefit they will offer with annexation of CU South. On Oct. 9, 2018, there was a council study session that discussed the future annexation process for CU South with City Council and University of Colorado Boulder staff. You can review the study session memo and the study session summary.
Per council direction on Oct. 9, over the coming months the City of Boulder and the CU Boulder staff will be conducting several pre-application meetings. The purpose of these meetings is to confirm application submittal requirements. Minutes from each meeting will be posted to this page in the dropdown menu below. Once submitted, all annexation application materials will be available on this page (anticipated in the first quarter of 2019).
About CU South
As part of the 2015 Major Update to the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan (BVCP), the land use designations for the University of Colorado Boulder's "CU South" property were amended to include a mix of Open Space – Other, Public and Park, Urban & Other. Following extensive community engagement and technical analysis, the Boulder City Council, Planning Board, Boulder County Board of County Commissioners and Planning Commission approved the new land use designations and guiding principles that enable the city and CU Boulder to begin planning for future uses on the site, such as flood mitigation, open space preservation and university uses.
If annexed, the CU South would come under the city's jurisdiction like the rest of CU's campus. Utility services also could be extended to the site. Annexation would not mean the city would own the site. Visit CU Boulder project webpage for frequently asked questions and more.
- Nov.27, 2018 Meeting with CU Boulder
- Aug. 10 - Staff provides a brief update to Open Space Board of Trustees (O.S.B.T.) about the process and timeline
- Sept. 13 - Staff briefs City Council about update before study session
- Sept. 14 - Staff presents initial findings of suitability study to O.S.B.T. (6 p.m., Municipal Building, 1777 Broadway)
- Sept. 15 - Staff presents initial findings of suitability study to Planning Board (6 p.m., Municipal Building, 1777 Broadway), with open house before meeting
- Sept. 26 - Public open house to review and give input on engagement process, analysis and draft site suitability analysis
- Oct. 20 - Planning Board discusses process and initial suitability analysis (continued discussion in December and January)
- Dec. 5 - CU South community event (6 – 8 p.m., CU Boulder Campus, SEEC Building)
- Dec. 15 - Boulder Planning Board receives updates on analysis, flood mitigation background information, and public input
- Jan. 11 - Boulder Open Space Board of Trustees discussion about initial land use recommendation related to open space land use
- Jan. 19 - Planning Board discussion about initial land use recommendation and topics for city/CU agreement(s)
- Jan. 24 - City Council and Planning Board joint study session to review and discuss analysis; initial discussion of land use change and topics for city/CU agreement(s)
- April 3 - Community Event (6 – 8:30 p.m., CU Boulder Campus, SEEC Building)
- April 6 – Planning Board study session to provide input on land use options
- April 11 – City Council Study Session to provide input on land use options
- April 12 – Open Space Board of Trustees public hearing for land use concept recommendation
- April 27 – County Parks & Open Space Advisory Committee to review and provide input on changes to the comprehensive plan that affect an area designated Open Space.
- June 15 - Planning Board will discuss CU South land use map changes.
- June 28 - Boulder County Board of County Commissioners and Planning Commission is scheduled to hold a joint public hearing on adoption of the draft plan, including CU South.
- July 11 - City Council is scheduled to deliberate and vote on CU South land use map changes.
- July 13- Planning Board is scheduled to deliberate and vote on CU South changes.
- July 19 - Boulder County Planning Commission is scheduled to deliberate and vote on the BVCP, including CU South.
- July 26 - Boulder County Board of County Commissioners is scheduled to vote on the BVCP, including CU South.
Contact Us about CU South or the Flood Mitigation Project
For more information, contact Phil Kleisler, planner, 303-441-4497
To learn more about the South Boulder Creek Major Drainageway and Flood Mitigation Plan, visit www.southbouldercreek.com or contact Molly Scarbrough, senior project manager, 303-441-4939.