Important Updates:

The city expands beta to preview its new website and gather feedback. | More Info


The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • Participate & Engage
  • Doing Business Over
  • Inquire Boulder
  • Explore Boulder
  • Contact City Council
  • Open Data Catalog
  • Public Safety
  • Emergency Alert Sign Up
  • Customer Self Service Portal
  • Online Records Access

Domestic Partnership

Due to COVID-19 concerns, all registrations are being held virtually on Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. in a group atmosphere. The $25.00 fee is being waived at this time. Please note, due to staff shortages, we will not have appointments on June 30th and July 14th. We appreciate your understanding. 

Appointments are REQUIRED and must be scheduled at least 48 hours in advance, but we recommend starting the process as soon as possible. Appointments book up quickly and well in advance. Please e-mail your application and supporting documents the City Clerk's Office at [email protected] to get the process started! No requests will be processed if the appropriate documents are not recieved. Please see below the “requirements for registration” for further detail.

In this environment, we are able to accommodate six (6) couples at each appointment.  (Note: there is a 5-minute wait time to allow all participants to join. After that time, if you are not present, we will reschedule you to our next available appointment.)



Registering for a Domestic Partnership
Appointment required

Make an Appointment
City Clerk's Office
303-441-4222 (please leave a voicemail message)  or
email us at [email protected]  


The Denver Clerk and Recorders Office also provides Domestic Partnership registrations.  
Denver Clerk and Recorders Office 
Wellington E. Webb Municipal Office Building
201 W. Colfax Ave., Dept. 101 (First Floor)
Denver, CO 80202

Domestic Partners
Domestic partners are two people who have signed an affidavit swearing that they are:

  • Are in a relationship of mutual support, caring, and commitment and intend to remain in such a relationship
  • Are each other's sole domestic partner
  • Are both at least 18 years of age and competent to contract
  • Share a life and home together
  • Are not related by kinship closer than would bar marriage in the State of Colorado
  • Are not married

Domestic Partners do NOT have to reside in the City of Boulder.

Requirements for registration
The following steps are used by the City Clerk in registering domestic partners:

  • Both parties must be present together and on the same virtual screen
  • Valid picture identification card is required from both partners (i.e., driver's license, passport, military id)
  • Proof of same address (i.e., driver's license, lease agreement, joint mortgage, joint checking account, joint vehicle title, recent utility/phone bill delivered to each at same address)
  • The $25.00 fee is being waived at this time.

Providing for confidentiality and public information requirement
The Clerk's Office will record information from all Domestic Partnership registrations in the database, which is part of the public record. Registrants, however, have the option to request that names and year of birth not appear in the database.

Terminate a Domestic Partnership
A Domestic Partnership may be terminated when:

  • One of the partners dies.
  • No longer are in a committed relationship or share a common household.
  • The partners no longer meet one or more of the requirements included in the affidavit for domestic partnership.
  • Notice of Termination is submitted to City Clerk of Boulder.
  • Notice of Termination may be emailed to:  [email protected]

Terminations are not handled in-person. To initiate a termination please complete the termination form in the upper right hand corner of this page. Once completed, e-mail the notice of termination form (including certificate number if possible), to  [email protected] . The termination form must be signed and dated by at least one partner. If only one partner signs, that partner must provide evidence (certified mail receipt) that they have attempted to notify the other partner of the termination of the partnership.

Legal Rights and Responsibilities
Domestic partnership registration is voluntary, and does not create any new or different legal rights or responsibilities. The City of Boulder is not able to provide you with any legal advice concerning your partnership, and you may wish to consult an attorney for such advice. A domestic partnership does not create a "common law marriage" and may be evidence that no common law marriage has occurred. It does not create a joint venture or partnership or create any other legal rights between the partners or relating to any third partner. However, it may be used as evidence that an intimate relationship existed between the parties. 

Because domestic partnership does not provide for many things covered by legal marriage, you should consult an attorney and make arrangements for a number of matters, including, but not limited to: wills, power of attorney, medical matters or tax implications.