Speaking at City Council Meetings
Regular City Council meetings are held the first and third Tuesdays of the month in the Council Chambers located in the Municipal Building, 1777 Broadway St. You have the opportunity to speak to the council to express your opinions about city issues. To help accommodate everyone, please follow these rules:
- Open comment is held at the beginning of City Council meetings and provides an opportunity for speakers to address any issue(s) not scheduled for a public hearing. Sign up online through Eventbrite prior to 4:30 p.m. or in person beginning at 5 p.m. Special City Council meetings do not have open comment.
- Public hearings are identified on the agenda and you may sign up for that topic beginning at 5 p.m. There is no online sign up for public hearings.
- If you have an electronic presentation, you need to send it to the City Clerk’s Office no later than 2 p.m. the day of the meeting. Please send it to CityClerkStaff@BoulderColorado.gov .
- Each speaker will be given three minutes to address council. If there are more than 15 speakers, each will have 2 minutes to speak. Please limit your time to city issues. Be clear, concise, and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks.
- Citizens may pool time with two other people allowing one of them to address council for five (5) minutes. All three people must be present at sign up and when the speaker is called. If there are more than 15 speakers, each will have four (4) minutes to speak.
- We may be unable to accommodate all the people who sign up within the 45 minute time period for open comment. In that case, it is up to the mayor to determine how to proceed. You may be offered the opportunity to speak after the last public hearing item.
- City Council receives the bulk of its communications electronically but, if you have prepared a written statement, you may give ten (10) copies to the City Clerk when you approach the podium to speak; the City Clerk will distribute your written statements as you speak.
- Please practice your statement ahead of time and keep it within the time limit. The green light will go on when you begin to speak. State your name and address and be sure to state what you would like to see done (constructive problem resolution). When half of your time has expired, the light will begin to flash. When you have 30 seconds remaining, the yellow light will come on to warn you that your time is almost up. When the red light comes on, your time is finished.
- Consent Agenda items and any item not scheduled for a public hearing can be addressed in the open comment section of the meeting, between 6 and 6:45 p.m.
- You may speak once per comment period (once during open comment and once during public hearing) per meeting.
Cablecasts on Channel 8
City Council meetings are televised LIVE on Municipal Channel 8 (Channel 8 in Gunbarrel also). The meeting will be re-cablecast during the week. Council meetings are web-streamed live on our website and are archived on Channel 8 .