Speaking at City Council Meetings
Regular City Council meetings are held the first and third Tuesdays of the month in the Council Chambers located in the Municipal Building, 1777 Broadway St. You have the opportunity to speak to the council to express your opinions about city issues. To help accommodate everyone, please follow these rules:
Open Comment Speakers
- A total of 20 speakers may address council on any issue that is not a public hearing.
- Each speaker will be given two minutes to address council.
- Sign up online through Eventbrite from 6 p.m. on the Thursday prior to the meeting through 2 p.m. the day prior to the meeting. Once Eventbrite is closed, the list will be randomized and the first 15 speakers will be assigned to speak at the council meeting. This list will be posted by 5 p.m. the day prior to the meeting on the city council webpage under Meeting Agendas and Materials.
- You may also sign up in-person beginning at 5 p.m. on the day of the City Council meeting; sign-up closes promptly at 6 p.m. Speakers will be randomly selected from the in-person sign-up to bring the total to no more than 20 speakers. In the event speakers do not show up for their time slot, no further drawing of speakers will be done after 6 p.m.
- There is no pooling of time during open comment.
Public Hearing Speakers
- All speakers to a public hearing item may address council.
- Each speaker will be given three minutes to address Council. If there are more than fifteen speakers, time will be reduced to two minutes.
- There is no sign up through Eventbrite for public hearing items. Check the posted agenda to determine if your item is a public hearing.
- Sign up is in-person beginning at 5 p.m. on the day of the City Council meeting. During the public hearing, the mayor will announce when sign up is closing.
- To pool time, the speaker must have two additional people give up their time. All three people must be present when the speaker is called. The speaker may address Council for up to five minutes. If there are more than 15 speakers, pooled time will be reduced to four minutes.
Information Applicable to All Speakers
- If you have an electronic presentation, you need to send it to the City Clerk’s Office no later than 2 p.m. the day of the meeting. Please send it to [email protected].
- Council receives the bulk of its communications electronically but, if you have prepared a written statement, you may give ten copies to the City Clerk when you approach the podium to speak; the City Clerk will distribute your written statements as you speak.
- You may speak once per comment period (once during open comment and once during each public hearing) per meeting. More information is available in the Council Procedure document, Boulder Revised Code, Appendix of Title 2.
Watch Meetings on TV and Online
City Council meetings are televised live on Comcast Channel 8 and 880. The meeting will be re-cablecast during the week. Council meetings are web-streamed live on our website and are archived on Boulder 8 TV.