Important Updates:

Get the latest coronavirus updates, including information on closures and work the city is doing to limit the spread of the virus. | More Info


The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • Participate & Engage
  • Doing Business Over
  • Inquire Boulder
  • Explore Boulder
  • Contact City Council
  • Open Data Catalog
  • Public Safety
  • Emergency Alert Sign Up
  • Customer Self Service Portal
  • Online Records Access

City of Boulder Special Events

City of Boulder Special Events

Special Events with a Pending Application and scheduled start date on or before May 15, 2020 shall be cancelled or postponed due to the current City Emergency Declaration for Gatherings, health orders from the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment, and any other relevant emergency government orders. 

All special events with a Pending Application and scheduled start date after May 15, 2020 must provide written updates with plans to cancel, postpone, reschedule and/or specific modifications that substantially reduce the risk to public health. These plans may be activated and/or events may be canceled or postponed based on current or future declaration, recommendation and/or requirements from city, county, state or government authority.

New Special Event Applications may be submitted, but will not be processed until after current and any future City Emergency Declarations and/or any other relevant emergency government orders or recommendations have been rescinded or upgraded.  

The City of Boulder Office of Special Events will continue to work with all city, county, state and CDC authorities to make coordinated decisions and provide regular updates to event organizers regarding proposed special event applications.

City of Boulder Issues Order Prohibiting Large Groups on Publicly Owned Areas

Boulder County Health Department Recommendations and Guidelines for COVID-19

Please also see the latest CDC Guidance for preventing the spread of COVID-19 at community gatherings and events and learn more at


The City of Boulder is proud to host a variety of Special Events that contribute to the social, economic and environmental health and well-being of our community.

Do I need a Special Event Permit?

A special event permit is required for all planned and promoted public activities conducted on public property that meet any of the following criteria:

  • When the expected number of participants and spectators totals 50 or more people; and/or
  • When using tents, structures and/or sound amplification; and/or
  • When providing, selling or distributing alcohol and/or food to the public; and/or
  • When using public right of ways (e.g., city streets, multi-use paths and sidewalks), and/or impacting vehicle, bike or bus traffic.

Examples: Parades, athletic events, bike and foot races, street fairs, arts shows and festivals.

Advocacy activities do not require a special event permit. Please see the Special Event Guide pdf for more information.

Special Event Guide

When planning a special event in Boulder, the Special Events Guide pdf is an essential tool for event organizers navigating the permitting process to clarify deadline and requirements.

Please review the Special Events Guide pdf prior to developing a special event concept and submitting a Special Event Application.

Special Event Permit Application

After developing a special event concept, submit a Special Event Permit Application request with  requirements specified in the Special Event Guide. Submitting a Special Event Application does NOT reserve, hold or guarantee dates or venues, nor imply any approval of the proposed concept or event.

Once submitted, a city representative will respond within 10 business days and serve as your point of contact for processing the application, facilitating pending requirements and issuing the special event permit. 

Additional Permits, Requirements and Information

Additional City of Boulder permits or information may be required based on the size, scope and capacity of the special event, or if the event includes or offers any of the following items: