City of Boulder Special Events
The City of Boulder is proud to host a variety of Special Events that contribute to the social, economic and environmental health and well-being of our community.
Do I need a Special Event Permit?
A special event permit is required for all planned and promoted public activities conducted on public property that meet any of the following criteria:
- When the expected number of participants and spectators totals 50 or more people; and/or
- When using tents, structures and/or sound amplification; and/or
- When providing, selling or distributing alcohol and/or food to the public; and/or
- When using public right of ways (e.g., city streets, multi-use paths and sidewalks), and/or impacting vehicle, bike or bus traffic.
Examples: Parades, athletic events, bike and foot races, street fairs, arts shows and festivals.
Advocacy activities do not require a special event permit. Please see Appendix F of the Special Event Guide for more information.
Special Event Guide
When planning a special event in Boulder, the Special Events Guide is an essential tool for event organizers to navigate the permitting process. The guide clarifies planning deadlines and requirements.
Please review the Special Events Guide prior to developing a special event concept and submitting a Special Event Application.
Special Event Permit Application
After developing a special event concept, submit a Special Event Permit Application request with any requirements specified in the Special Event Guide. Submitting a Special Event Application does NOT reserve, hold or guarantee dates or venues, nor imply any approval of the proposed concept or event.
Once submitted, a city representative will respond within 10 business days and serve as your point of contact for processing the application, facilitating pending requirements and issuing the special event permit.
Additional Permits, Requirements and Information
Additional City of Boulder permits or information may be required based on the size, scope and capacity of the special event, or if the event includes or offers any of the following items:
- Alcohol - Liquor License Instructions
- Alcohol - Liquor Permit for Public Property
- Alcohol - Questionnaire for Special Events
- Auction License Application
- Circus and Carnival License Application
- Filming Permit Application
- Food - Currently Licensed Mobile Food Vendors / Food Trucks
- Food - Mobile Vendors / Food Trucks
- Food - Open Burning/Open Flame Cooking Regulations
- Food - Vendor Guidelines from the Boulder Fire Department
Example Venue and Site Maps
- Generator Permit Application
- Open Burning / Open Flame Cooking Regulations
- Parking Services Application
- Pearl Street Mall Merchandise Sales Criteria
- Police Services Application
- Sales and Use Tax (Business) License
- Tent and Canopy Requirements
- Tent and Canopy Permit Application
- Zero Waste Requirements