The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • Participate & Engage
  • Doing Business Over
  • Inquire Boulder
  • Explore Boulder
  • Contact City Council
  • Open Data Catalog
  • Public Safety
  • Emergency Alert Sign Up
  • Customer Self Service Portal
  • Online Records Access

Federal Government Shutdown Resources in Boulder

Since the federal government resumed operations on Jan. 25, 2019, specific resources for furloughed employees are no longer in effect. This page is no longer being updated.

Many community members in Boulder are experiencing financial hardships due to the federal government shutdown. The city is working with partners to provide support.

This page will be updated as more information becomes available. Please check back regularly.

For more information on services and resources provided throughout Boulder County, please visit Boulder County's Federal Shutdown Resources page.

Furloughed Federal Employees

Rec Centers

Boulder Parks and Recreation is offering free drop-in access to furloughed federal government workers and their household members. Guests need to provide a valid federal employee ID and email address to receive free admission. We will continue this offer until the end of the government shutdown. Existing pass holders who would like to request payment grace during this time can contact Bryan Beary at [email protected]  or 303-413-7273.

During these stressful times, access to physical activity opportunities can be an important part of well-being. Boulder community members who would like to discuss applying for one of our financial aid programs can visit Boulder Parks and Recreation web page for more information or contact Business Services at 303-413-7200. 


Transit riders with a federal ID may visit 1101 Arapahoe Ave., 2nd floor, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday to receive free 10-ride ticket books, which can be used by furloughed federal employees and their families. The HOP service will be free for people with federal IDs (no ticket required). For more information, call 303-441-3200.

Additional Resources

Colorado 2-1-1 has a list of additional resources available for furloughed federal employees and federal employees working without pay, including information on unemployment benefits, sample letters to lenders and more.

Resources for People Experiencing Financial Hardship


The following resources are available for those facing food insecurity:

  • Harvest of Hope Pantry, 2960 Valmont Road, Boulder. Available for city of Boulder residents Monday-Friday from 9-11 a.m. (must be checked in by 10:45 a.m.), as well as Thursday 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. Housed residents can access the free of charge food pantry, and the amount of food available is based on the number of people in the household. City of Boulder residency verification, such as utility bill or other identification card noting the address, is required. Some clothing vouchers are also available through Ares Thrift Store.
  • Community Food Share Inc., 650 Taylor Avenue, Louisville. Open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30. p.m. Eligibility for emergency food assistance is based on current income, so any worker not receiving a paycheck is eligible for assistance. 

For information about benefits through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) during the government shutdown, please visit Boulder County for more information.

Women Infants and Children (WIC) clinics are operating normally. Please visit the Colorado WIC web page or call Boulder County at 303-413-7520 for more information.


The following resources are available in the city of Boulder for those who are in need of housing assistance:

Federal funding for Housing Choice Vouchers will end on March 1 if the government shutdown continues. However, the city and local housing partners are seeking reserve funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to extend voucher funding through the end of April. The city will continue to work with housing partners to identify resources to help fund these vouchers for May if the shutdown continues beyond April. More information is also available at Boulder County.


Water Bills

In case of financial hardship, city of Boulder residents who pay water bills may contact the Utility Billing Office to request arrangements for an extended payment term. While utility charges are ultimately the responsibility of the property owner, Utility Billing staff will work with you to help maintain your water service during periods of financial hardship. Please visit Utility Bill Payment Options or call 303-441-3260.

Energy Assistance

The Colorado Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) offers help with heating costs from Nov. 1 through April 30. Please contact 720-564-2279 for more information.

Financial Counseling

Free Financial Counseling is available to Boulder County residents through the county. Please visit Boulder County or call 720-564-2279 for more information.

Letter from City of Boulder and Boulder Chamber

City of Boulder Mayor Suzanne Jones and Boulder Chamber President John Tayer issued a letter to Congress on Jan. 14, 2019, asking for an end to the shutdown.