Police Oversight Task Force
On Oct. 29, 2019, City Council gave unanimous final approval to recommendations from the Police Oversight Task Force to install an auditor-monitor to investigate complaints against officers, along with a new panel of community members to evaluate the auditor-monitor. There is more to do before the fresh model comes to life. A majority of the task force plans to continue meeting to nail down how a selection committee for the new public panel will be put together, how the new panel should report back to city officials, term lengths for panel members, how members could be removed and what the qualifications of the police auditor-monitor should be.
Task Force Duties
The task force members shall have, but are not limited to the following duties:
The charter for the task force contains further details about the process and deadlines.
- Attend and actively participate in a series of meetings. Frequency, time, and duration of meetings will be set by the task force.
- Allocate time outside of meetings for research and analysis.
- Collect and consider public feedback.
- Provide updated reports to council on an as needed basis.
- Spend time between meetings on task force working items.
- The task force will provide regular updates to the City Council and will endeavor to bring a final report to the city council by Sept. 30, 2019. City Council reserves the right to extend these deadlines at the request of the task force.
- The task force shall maintain availability, if needed, for collaboration and continuity beyond the delivery of its final report to council, with possible extension to include time overlapping the implementation of the Community Oversight Board.
- June 20 Police Oversight TFC Mtg Participant Agenda
- June 20, 2019 Task Force Notes
- Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement: A Review of the Strengths and Weaknesses of Various Models
- Guidebook for the Implementation of New or Revitalized Police Oversight
- Boulder Police Complaint Process Presentation
- Boulder Police Rules and General Orders
- Boulder Police Vision, Mission and Values Statement
- City of Boulder Insurance Policy