2019 Ballot Measure: Tax on Tobacco Vaping Products
Boulder voters will consider a variety of measures on the Nov. 5, 2019, election, including this one. Visit election information for a complete list of ballot measures and other information.
Tax on Tobacco Vaping Products
Shall City of Boulder taxes be increased two million five hundred thousand dollars (first full fiscal year increase) annually by imposing a sales and use tax of up to 40% of the retail sales price of all electronic smoking devices, including any refill, cartridge or component of such a product; the term “electronic smoking device” shall have the meaning as in Section 6-4.5-1 of the Boulder Revised Code;
And in connection therewith, shall all of the revenues collected be used to fund:
- the administrative cost of the tax, and thereafter for:
- implementation and administration of a licensing program for all nicotine product retailers;
- health promotion;
- education programs regarding nicotine product use including enforcement;
With any remaining funds being available for general government services, including library, police, fire, parks, transportation and general government administration?
All effective January 1, 2020, and in connection therewith, shall the full proceeds of such taxes at such rates and any earnings thereon be collected, retained, and spent, as a voter-approved revenue change without limitation or condition, and without limiting the collection, retention, or spending of any other revenues or funds by the City of Boulder under Article X Section 20 of the Colorado Constitution or any other law?
YES/FOR ____ NO/AGAINST ____
- Download the memo and other materials related to the ordinance to place this issue on the November 2018 ballot, including additional information about the topic.
- Ordinance approved by City Council