Energy Future and the Municipalization Exploration Project
- City's appeal with Boulder County Distric Court challenging two rulings by the PUC is available in the "Energy Updates" menu box
- City sends Xcel Energy a Notice of Intent to Acquire in order to begin formal acquisition proceedings - Link to letter available under "Energy Updates" menu
You have the power to help create the Electric Utility of the Future
Boulder's energy supply is one of the most carbon-intensive in the nation.
Through the approval of ballot measures 2b/2c in 2011 and 2E in 2013, voters asked the city to explore different options that could deliver our community clean, reliable, low-cost, local energy.
Over the past year, teams of world-class consultants and community stakeholder working groups began an unprecedented analysis of the challenges and opportunities of possible solutions––including creating a local power utility.
We are excited to share what we've learned! Get the facts and learn about the study by clicking on the colored tabs above or use the links in the menu bar.
- Learn about the history of the project, our team, and the goals and objectives
- Our resources page provides in-depth information including links to city analysis, assumptions and data, consultant reports, council memos, and all related news
- Learn about our model and work plan
- Get the facts: Learn what we have found so far in the study!
View the latest and greatest
Find our latest information and upcoming events by clicking on the menu bar links under "Energy Updates."
Follow the links to your right under "Join the Conversation" to contact us, send us your comments, and sign-up for our Energy Future Email List.
Follow the conversation on Twitter #BldrEnergy
Latest Council Events
Dec. 17, 2013 Study Session With City Council - Update on Municipalization Exploration - Climate Committment
Dec. 17, 2013 Study Session with City Council - Update on Municipalization Exploration - Climate Committment
City Council Special Meeting on condemnation ordinance, charter metric certification and alternative ballot measures.
City Council Meeting on Phase 2 work and potential condemnation proceedings. Public comment will be heard.
Latest Energy-Related City News
The city provides nonprofits and affordable home owners with financial assistance for installation of photovoltaic (PV) or solar thermal.
Karl Rábago’s visit is part of ongoing efforts to explore solar’s role in creating a local, cleaner and cost-effective energy supply.
Feb. 6, 2014 - Xcel Energy to Run a Limited Electrical Line Under Open Space to Serve Shanahan Ridge Customers
The company’s ‘solution’ is necessary to address immediate needs but will likely lead to continued reliability concerns.