Goals & Objectives
Goals and Objectives
In addition to the requirement to meet the metrics voters passed into the city charter in 2011, the Boulder community and the Energy Future Project team has identified further goals and objectives for a potential local electric utility.
The city’s overall goal in this effort is to ensure Boulder residents and businesses have access to reliable power that is increasingly clean and competitively priced. For details, please check out the Energy Future Goals adopted by City Council March 1, 2011.
Democratize, Decentralize, Decarbonize
In response to input from Boulder residents and businesses regarding Boulder's energy future, the city adopted an "energy localization framework" defined by three primary goals:
- Democratize Energy Decision Making: Boulder customers should have more direct control and involvement in decisions about their energy, including opportunities to invest in their long-term energy needs and to have a say in energy investments made on their behalf.
- Decentralize Energy Generation and Management : energy should be generated locally or within the region to the maximum extent feasible, reducing reliance on external fuel sources ; customers should be able to manage and reduce their energy use as directly and effectively as possible; and energy service companies should be empowered to compete and innovate within a diverse and robust local energy economy .
- Decarbonize the Energy Supply : renewable and clean fuel sources should be maximized as much as possible, as quickly as possible, minimizing both short- and long-term environmental impacts and maximizing energy independence over time.
Within this framework the project team identified, and council approved, six goal areas for a potential local electric utility. It should:
- Ensure a stable, safe and reliable energy supply
- Ensure competitive rates , balancing short-term and long-term interests
- Significantly reduce carbon emissions and pollutants
- Provide energy customers with a greater say about their energy supply
- Promote local economic vitality
- Promote social and environmental justice
1101 Arapahoe Ave.
Boulder, CO 80302