The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • Human-Services
  • Community Relations
  • Family Services
  • Human-Services-Planning
  • Senior-Services

Entry & Repairs Resource Center

Human Services Banner

Can my landlord come into my apartment whenever they feel like it?

Generally, reasonable notice should be given unless there is an emergency. Reasonable notice is usually defined as 24 hours. However, unless it is specifically stated in the lease, there is no specific time period that the landlord must give to come into their property. This is something that the landlord and the tenant should work out together.

My landlord keeps saying they will fix broken things in the house but never gets around to it. Can I withhold my rent until things are fixed?

No, the duty of the tenant to pay rent does not depend on the landlord's duty to maintain the premises. You can get evicted for not paying rent. You can negotiate with the landlord over when things will be fixed, possible compensation for the inconvenience, or that you have not received what you are paying rent for. If you are not comfortable with or are unable to negotiate in person or over the phone, another option is to write a letter.

The letter should clearly state the problem you would like fixed, the time frame for fixing it, and any help you can provide to make that happen (i.e. when the unit will be available for repair people to get in, etc.). If the landlord is not responsive to requests for maintenance or repairs, you may want to check with an attorney for other options or call Planning and Development Services (if the property is located in the City of Boulder) to see if the maintenance issue falls under city housing codes. The phone number for Planning and Development Services is 303-441-1880.

If you have other questions or would like to speak with someone in person about a particular problem or issue, please call the Community Mediation Service at 303-441-4364. The Community Mediation Service provides information on tenant/landlord, neighbor/neighbor, and roommate issues, and can provide low fee mediation services for disputes in the above areas for people who live in the City of Boulder. Because the Community Mediation Service is a City of Boulder office and funded exclusively by the residents of Boulder, mediation services cannot be provided to people who live outside the city limits.

I have a list of repairs that I want done on my apartment. Is it OK for me to go ahead and pay for the repairs and then deduct that amount from my rent?

No. You can not make repairs and deduct without the permission of the landlord.

View Full Site