Arborist and Tree Contractor Licensing Program
The City of Boulder has an arborist licensing program for tree care contractors doing work on both public and private property within Boulder city limits.
The City of Boulder started the licensing program for several reasons:
- To ensure all persons/ companies performing tree work within the city have the necessary insurance;
- To ensure all tree work within the city is performed in a safe, professional manner and according to industry standards;
- To ensure all diseased/infested wood is disposed of in a proper manner to prevent the spread of insect/disease problems; and
- To maximize environmental benefits derived from the Boulder urban forest.
The City of Boulder arborist license program is a two tier system:
- Certified Arborist License – for all ISA certified arborists or professional level tree care companies. Licensees in this category have demonstrated a higher level of knowledge and professionalism and are allowed to perform tree work to trees in the public rights-of-way and to both public and private trees that are infested/infected with a major insect/disease problem such as Thousand cankers disease of black walnut, Dutch elm disease, drippy blight of red oaks, mountain pine beetle, etc.
- Tree Contractor – for all persons/companies performing tree work that are not ISA certified or choose not to test through the City of Boulder office. Licensees under this category are not allowed to perform tree work to trees in the public rights-of-way or to both public and private property trees that are infested/infected with a major insect/disease problem.