Living Lab: Phase II Pilot Project
Home | Living Lab Overview | Phase I Pilot Projects | Phase II Folsom Street Pilot Project | User Guide and Videos
Phase II Folsom Street Pilot Project
The Folsom Street pilot project was installed in July 2015 to demonstrate bicycle treatments that have the potential to increase safety and usability for all travelers. The Folsom Street pilot project is one of many action items from the 2014 Transportation Master Plan , which is guided by the Boulder community’s vision to create a more complete transportation system that provides a variety of travel options for everyone.
In fall 2015, Folsom Street between Canyon Boulevard and Spruce Street was restored to four vehicle lanes. These changes, intended to improve the flow of vehicle traffic in this section of the corridor, including at the Pearl Street and Canyon Boulevard intersections, return that section of Folsom Street to its pre-Living Lab lane configuration. Please see this map for details.
The Folsom Street Living Lab remains in place from Valmont Road to around Spruce Street, where there are protected bicycle lanes, and south of Arapahoe Avenue, where there is a buffered bicycle lane. For more details about why the city made these changes, please read the Sept. 29 City Council memo.
The community offered valuable feedback about how the pilot project affects travel around Boulder, including:
- The city must offer more proactive community engagement and create more opportunities for information exchange with those most impacted by pilot projects.
- The community supports protected bike lanes, but more work is needed to determine how, when and where they are located in Boulder.
Phase II meetings, presentations and events
Archive of updates to City Council and Transportation Advisory Board, FAQs and more
The City of Boulder created many guides, overviews and updates about the Living Lab program for the general public, elected leaders on City Council and appointees to the Transportation Advisory Board. In the interest of transparency, that material is archived here. Please note that some material is outdated and is included here to provide a complete picture of the history of the Living Lab.
- Folsom Street Living Lab Update for TAB, Sept. 14
- Sept. 18 Email to City Council - Folsom Street Living Lab Update
- Sept. 12 Email to City Council - Folsom Street Living Lab Update
- Sept. 29 - Sept. 29 City Council Special Meeting: Staff update and proposal to change the Folsom Street Living Lab
- Aug. 25 - Aug. 25 City Council Study Session: Transportation Master Plan Implementation Update
- Aug. 10 - Presentation: Transportation Master Plan Implementation Update
- June 15 - City Council Meeting
- June 11 - Stakeholder Meeting
- June 8 - Transportation Advisory Board meeting