Boulder Jaycees Depot
The landmark Boulder Jaycees Depot is a classic example of a western Victorian-era rail station, constructed in the 1890s with sandstone from Anderson Quarry in Skunk Canyon. Originally located downtown, the building was moved to the Boulder Junction redevelopment site near 30th Street and Pearl Parkway. The depot is currently secured, but not in use.
The Boulder Jaycees Depot will become an integral part Boulder Junction. Pedersen Development has agreed to rehabilitate the Boulder Jaycees Depot building in exchange for the ability to sublet the building to an operator such as a restaurant. The City of Boulder has already approved the alteration certificate for the renovations and the work is expected to be completed in compliance with all city historic preservation guidelines.
When it was moved to its current location in 2008, the Boulder Jaycees Depot was placed on a concrete foundation approximately five feet above the existing grade. The building will be at ground level after surrounding improvements are completed. The foundation was engineered to enable a basement to be created once the depot is restored, providing additional interior space.
- In 1890, the Union Pacific Railroad built the Boulder Jaycees Depot on the north side of Water Street (now Canyon Boulevard) at 14th Street. The depot was used as a railroad passenger station until 1957; and then it was used as a bus terminal and travel agency.
- In 1973, under threat of demolition by the city, the Boulder Jaycees acquired the building and moved it to the Pow-Wow Rodeo Grounds located northwest of the intersection of 30th Street and Pearl Parkway.
- In 1979, the Boulder Jaycees Depot was designated a local landmark for its significance to the development of Boulder's rail history and its Romanesque-Revival design, characterized by its heavy round archways and massive stone construction.
- In the late 1980s, the Jaycees and the city considered relocating the Boulder Jaycees Depot to Central Park in place of the Bandshell, which was in severe disrepair. Over time, the Crossroad Commons shopping center had grown up around the depot, resulting in a less-than-ideal setting for the building, surrounded by a parking lot. A campaign was initiated to raise funds to move the building and rehabilitate its exterior. Fundraising included selling artistic posters of the Boulder Jaycees Depot and commemorative bricks to be placed around the building. The Boulder Jaycees Depot was not moved to Central Park, as the Bandshell was designated a landmark and rehabilitated, but the funds that were raised for the Boulder Jaycees Depot are still held in trust by the Parks and Recreation Foundation and will be used according to the original intent of the fundraising.
- The Jaycees continued to own and operate the building for various uses until 2008, when expansion of the Crossroad Commons shopping center was proposed. To accommodate the expansion and also provide the Boulder Jaycees Depot with a more suitable setting, the city acquired the building and moved it to Boulder Junction. The Boulder Jaycees Depot's new location, adjacent to the BNSF railroad tracks, once again associates the building with Boulder's rail history.
- On Nov. 8, 2011, council approved a motion granting the city manager authority to enter into a development agreement and lease for the city-owned Boulder Jaycees Depot, and the conveyance of property into the proposed condominium association at Depot Square.