Innovation and Technology
The mission of the Innovation and Technology (IT) Department is to create an environment of seamless integration between people and technology. The IT Department’s principle goals, defined in the citywide IT Strategic Plan, include:
- Service Quality and Accessibility: Technology improves access to city information and services and enhances the quality of our customers’ experience;
- IT Service and Decision-making Alignment: Technology services and decision-making align with citywide priorities and customer needs and support sustainability;
- Efficiency and Effectiveness: Technology maximizes the efficiency and effectiveness of city operations;
- Innovation: Technology is used as a catalyst for innovation; and
- Quality, Sustainable IT Infrastructure: Technology is a key element of citywide infrastructure and is current, secure and reliable – ensuring customer confidence.
The IT Department serves as a critical business partner to all city departments in addressing service and operational objectives through the appropriate use of automation. The services of the department are directly tied to the citywide IT Strategic Plan and include:
- long-range technology planning;
- citywide hardware/software procurement;
- support for all employees and personal computers (PCs), mobile devices and voice services;
- administration of 270 physical and virtual servers and 160 databases;
- disaster recovery and business continuity;
- systems security;
- 200 miles of fiber optic network infrastructure;
- business analysis;
- custom application development; and
- support for a numerous mission critical applications such as payroll, permitting and licensing, web technologies, and public safety.
- 2018 Operating Budget: $9,722,578
- 2018 Number of Full-time Equivalent (FTE) Employees: 39.75
The Administration Division provides general administrative support to the other divisions of IT and ensures budgetary items align with the IT Strategic Plan. Staff also provides financial management, customer-service advocacy, Help Desk services, and administration of the telecommunications fund, IT operating account, and citywide computer replacement fund, which includes centralized purchasing of all computer-related equipment and software.
- 2018 Operating Budget: $508,748
- 2018 Number of FTE Employees: 3.0
The Infrastructure Services Division provides a reliable and robust communications infrastructure supporting nearly 1,400 City of Boulder employees, 1,400 telephones, 1,750 workstations, nearly 800 mobile communication devices (tablets, smartphones, cellphones, Police/Fire mobile computers) and more than 270 physical and virtual servers providing voice, email, Web, geographic information systems (GIS), database, mobile data, emergency/disaster response support, and office-productivity services. In addition, Infrastructure Services takes a leadership role in the research, selection and implementation of new technologies to improve city services.
- 2018 Operating Budget: $2,361,061
- 2018 Number of FTE Employees: 17.0
The Application Services Division provides project management, business analysis, system implementation and upgrade support, reporting and general technical support to both the city’s traditional municipal services (e.g., police, fire, land use, public works utilities and maintenance) and its enhanced services (e.g., human services, open space, parks and recreation). The division currently manages an application portfolio of 196 applications supporting business functions across the city. The division also takes a leadership role in research of the technology solutions available to the city and participates in system selection and procurement.
- 2018 Operating Budget: $2,848,784
- 2018 Number of FTE Employees: 18.75
Capital, Non-IT and Citywide Items
The Capital, Non-IT and Citywide Items group includes funding for major citywide technology initiatives. The most notable item in this category is the funding for the IT Capital Improvement Plan.
- 2018 Operating Budget: $4,003,985
- 2018 Number of FTE Employees: 1.0