Hazardous Materials Management
Do not throw toxic materials in the trash!
Due to hazardous ingredients, many products used in the home, garden and garage require special disposal.
To learn which items are accepted at the Hazardous Materials Management Facility (HMMF), call 720-564-2251.
The HMMF is located at 1901 63rd Street and is open Wednesday through Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Enter at the Boulder County Recycling Center and follow the signs west to the HMMF.
Business waste is accepted by appointment only. The business service is limited to businesses that generate small quantities of hazardous wastes and are classified by the State of Colorado as "conditionally-exempt small quantity generators." This includes churches, nonprofit agencies and schools.
What can be dropped off?
Many toxic, corrosive, flammable or reactive products are accepted, including:
- Home improvement products (paints, thinners, caulks, glues, solvents, etc.);
- Automotive products (lead/acid batteries, gasoline, motor oil, antifreeze, etc.);
- Garden products (herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers, etc.);
- Household cleaners;
- Fluorescent bulbs (regular and compact);
- Pool products;
- Hobby products; and
- Pet products.
The HMMF has replaced the Boulder County Household Hazardous Waste Facility that was located at 5880 Butte Mill Road.
The new HMMF:
- Operates in all weather conditions;
- Offers improved safety and ergonomics;
- Is open more hours for greater convenience;
- Meets the needs of the business community;
- Uses equipment to process waste more efficiently;
- Maximizes revenues from oil, lead/acid batteries and recycled paint;
- Stores wastes for more cost effective shipping; and
- Provides space and flexibility for future needs.
To learn about what makes a product hazardous and how to reduce your use of hazardous products, please call the Hazardous Materials Management hotline at 720-564-2251 or visit the HMMF website.