Open Space and Mountain Parks
Boulder's Open Space & Mountain Parks (OSMP) are a very special place. The open space lands teem with native plants and wildlife and are home to threatened and endangered species. They serve as a buffer between Boulder and nearby development. They sustain agriculture uses and add untold benefits to the natural environment - clean air, water, and earth.
The lands shape the urban mosaic of the Boulder Valley and provide citizens with passive recreation opportunities. Trails are used by walkers, hikers, bicyclists, horseback riders, dog walkers and other passive recreational uses.
- Chautauqua Trail repairs: Starting as early as Tuesday, Sept. 27, OSMP will begin work to repair a section of the Chautauqua Trail. More information on the project.
- NCAR Bear Canyon, Mesa trail repairs and closures: Starting as early as Monday, Oct. 3, OSMP will begin to rebuild the NCAR-Bear Canyon Trail and a Mesa Trail section south of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). OSMP will host an open house on Thursday, Sept. 15, to inform the community about this project. Learn more at bearcanyon.org.
- Help shape OSMP's agricultural plan: Tell us how you value and would like to support city agricultural lands and operations by completing our questionnaire. Learn more about our Agricultural Resources Management Plan.
- Chautauqua Trail temporary leash restriction effective 8/30: Dogs are required to be on a hand-held leash on the Upper Chautauqua Meadow Trail due to wildlife activity in the area.
- Fire ban: Open burning and the sale and use of fireworks are prohibited in unincorporated Boulder County west of Highway 93/Broadway/US 36. With the ban in place, OSMP reminds visitors that it is prohibited to use department provided grills in the western part of the system. More information can be found on Boulder County's website.
- Chapman Drive and Tenderfoot Trails closed: The trails are closed into fall 2016 to repair erosion damage on Chapman Drive from the Sept. 2013 floods. View more information about the closure.
- Several trails are closed for longer-term projects: Please see the temporary closures page for details on the following closures:
- East Boulder/White Rocks Trail bridge closed
- Boulder Falls Trail closed
- Anemone Hill closed - a portion of the trail is temporarily open for out and back use only
Featured Projects & Pages
OSMP is working on the Agricultural Resources Management Plan. Learn more about the plan.
Information and instructions to obtain wood that is available to the public and a calendar showing wood availability.
A video series documenting the City of Boulder’s successful volunteer raptor monitoring program. Shot and edited by Megan King.
View OSMP’s new Osprey camera. Get a glimpse into the lives of a pair of Osprey nesting on OSMP. Watch them begin nesting, feeding and raising their young.
Information on how to register for the Voice and Sight Tag Program or renew your dogs' Voice and Sight Tags for 2016.
View trails that take visitors to locations that offer views of Boulder peaks and the City of Boulder’s southern open space.
OSMP is working with NIST to designate a trail system for visitor access and use in the NIST Protected Area.