Cliff-Nesting Raptor Closures Feb. 1 - July 31
Thanks to OSMP visitors and volunteers for supporting these closures and the cliff-nesting raptor program!
The following areas (listed north to south) are closed from Feb. 1 - July 31 to protect cliff nesting raptors:
- Lefthand Canyon Palisades , at the intersection of Lefthand Canyon Drive and Olde Stage Road (Buckingham Picnic area remains open).
- Mount Sanitas Summit , south of the Mt. Sanitas East Ridge Trail, east of Mt. Sanitas Trail (both trails remain open).
- May’s Point cliff , May’s Point Trail will remain open.
- Flagstaff Mountain , the north side of Flagstaff Mountain.
- Third Flatiron , including the Queen Anne’s Head, W.C Fields Pinnacle, 1911 Gully and the Ghetto, the East Bench & West Bench, the East & West Ironing Boards, The Fin, Green Thumb and Jaws.
- Skunk Canyon , including Ridges 2, 3 and 4, the Aechean Pronouncement, the Dreadnaught, the North Ridge and the entirety of Sacred Cliffs.
- Der Freischutz, including Frankenstein's Castle, The Bubble, Der Freischutz, Southern Dinosaur Egg, Northern Dinosaur Egg.
- Bear Creek Spire : north of Bear Canyon Trail (the designated Bear Canyon hiking trail remains open).
- The Back Porch and The Box .
- Fern Canyon , north of the Fern Canyon Trail, including the Nebel Horn Ridge, East Ridge, the Goose and the Goose Eggs (the designated Fern Canyon hiking trail remains open).
- Shadow Canyon, the Matron and The Wings , the Maiden remains open and accessible from the east; Shadow Canyon Trail remains open
- The entire Mickey Mouse wall , including South Tower, North Tower, Central Tower, Ship's Prow, Wall of Shiva's Dance, The Gargoyle, the East Face and Cryptic Crags.
For 31 years, more than 100 dedicated volunteers have helped the City of Boulder monitor bird of prey nests found on city open space. Learn more about this important wildlife protection effort and these dedicated volunteers in the Safeguarding Boulder's Birds of Prey video series.