Grassland Ground Nesting Bird Closures May 1 - July 31
Grassland breeding birds have seen widespread and precipitous declines at a continental scale due to a variety of impacts. OSMP provides habitat for several species of grassland nesting birds including Grasshopper Sparrow, Western Meadowlark, Vesper Sparrow, Horned Lark, Lark Sparrow, and Savannah Sparrow. OSMP closes certain areas to help reduce human impacts that could disturb nesting birds.
These closures do not affect designated trails in the area which remain open throughout the closure period.
The following areas are closed May 1 - July 31 every year:
- Greenbelt Plateau: Both sides of the Greenbelt Plateau trail from the Community Ditch trail to the Greenbelt Plateau trailhead on Highway 128. Dogs must be on-leash on the Greenbelt Plateau trail;
- Doudy Draw: the area north of Community Ditch trail and west of Highway 93;
- Flatirons Vista: the area north of Flatirons Vista North trail and west of Highway 93 on top of the mesa; and
- Lower Big Bluestem: the area north of the South Boulder Creek West Trail, east of the Bluestem Connector and south of Shanahan Ridge (dogs are prohibited off-trail in this area year round).
- Hester, DeLuca and Campbell properties: located north of Nimbus Road and west of 39th Street.
Note: Dogs must be on-leash on Lower Big Bluestem year round due to West Trail Study Area Implementation.
Accessing closed areas can result in a summons with penalties up to 90 days in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.