The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • OSMP Trails & Recreation
  • OSMP Visitor Info
  • OSMP Get Involved
  • OSMP Nature & Restoration
  • OSMP - About
  • OSMP Kids & Families
  • OSMP Plans & Reports
  • OSMP en Español

Off Trail Permits

Welcome to the City of Boulder Habitat Conservation Area Off-Trail Permit Program

The Lower Boulder Creek Habitat Conservation Area (HCA) remains closed to off-trail travel after the September 2013 flooding. Off-Trail permits are available for the Western Mountain Parks, Eldorado Mountain and Southern Grasslands HCAs.

Be Advised: You are responsible for knowing and complying with all trail and area closures. Please view the current wildlife closures map to see if the off-trail area you are interested in visiting is closed for wildlife protection. 

What is the Off-Trail Permit Program?

The Off-Trail Permit Program allows visitors to obtain a free permit to travel off of designated trails in Habitat Conservation Areas (HCAs). This program was adopted as part of the 2005 Visitor Master Plan to protect high quality habitat areas where trail density is low.

The Off-Trail Permit Program began in 2007 with the Western Mountain Parks, Lower Boulder Creek and Southern Grasslands HCAs. In 2009, the Eldorado Mountain HCA was added to the off-trail permit program. As Open Space and Mountain Parks continues to implement HCA regulations, additional HCAs will require off-trail permits for off-trail travel. The Off-Trail Permit Program will be phased-in by HCA as other parallel processes are completed such as: Trail Study Area (TSA) completion, trail construction or designation and other agreements.

Do I need an off-trail permit?

You need to have an off-trail permit with you if you hike off of a designated trail in an HCA.  You can travel on designated trails in HCAs without a permit.

You may also access some climbs without an off-trail permit. Maps and a list of climbs that require a permit are listed under Climbing Access Maps and Routes.

Closures may affect when off-trail permits for specific areas will be available. You are not allowed to bring dogs off-trail with an off-trail permit. Bicycling is only allowed on certain designated trails. 

Registering for an off-trail permit is quick and easy!

  1. Read and agree to the rules and travel guidelines.
  2. Review the HCA map and select the HCA you would like to visit.
  3. Select the sub-area(s) you would like to visit and submit your activity and trip detail information.
  4. Verify your trip details.
  5. Enter additional registration information.
  6. Print your permit or save the PDF and carry it with you on the day of your off-trail activity.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Why are off-trail permits required in Habitat Conservation Areas?

Habitat Conservation Areas (HCAs) are large areas of habitat and naturally functioning ecosystems with few trails. The management goal for HCAs is to help minimize impacts to these sensitive areas while maintaining a quality visitor experience. The off-trail permit program helps to manage access and promote low-impact activities in HCAs.

Is an off-trail permit required for activities in HCAs?

Yes, if you would like to travel off designated trails in HCAs you will need to obtain a permit to do so. A permit is not required for activities that remain on designated trails.

What is considered "off-trail"?

Activities occurring off a designated trail in a HCA require an off-trail permit. A visitor is considered "off-trail" if he or she travels off an OSMP-designated trail or designated climbing access. Unavoidable and incidental activities (for example, answering nature's call, yielding to a horse, avoiding a hazard on the trail, resting or eating "beside" the trail) are generally not considered "off-trail."

Going off-trail for lunch, to find a quiet spot, or to reach an overlook is considered off-trail. Activities that require an off-trail permit include climbing, hiking, photography, running and bird watching. Rangers will determine the need for a permit based on the specific intent and circumstance of a visitor being off-trail.

How long will it take to get my off-trail permit?

It will take about 10 minutes to apply online and print your permit.

How much does an off-trail permit cost?

Nothing. There is no charge for off-trail permits.

How long is an off-trail permit valid?

It is valid for one day - the day specified on the permit.

How does OSMP administer popular areas?

OSMP retains the ability to limit access to popular HCAs.

Can I renew my current off-trail permit for a later date?

No, you will need to apply for a new permit for each day you plan to travel off-trail in an HCA.

What if my plans change after I get my permit?

If your planned trip has not occurred, apply for a new permit and call OSMP at 303-441-3440 or email [email protected] to delete your existing permit. If your visit has occurred, call OSMP to correct your information.

Why aren't dogs allowed off-trail in HCAs?

HCAs are ecologically sensitive areas and off-trail dogs may disturb the ecosystem.

Why are agricultural activities allowed in HCAs?

Preserving agricultural land and uses is part of OSMP's charter. Some HCAs allow limited grazing or other agricultural activities as a traditional use of a property that is part of a larger HCA.