Open Space and Mountain Parks
Boulder's Open Space & Mountain Parks (OSMP) are a very special place. The open space lands teem with native plants and wildlife and are home to threatened and endangered species. They serve as a buffer between Boulder and nearby development. They sustain agriculture uses and add untold benefits to the natural environment - clean air, water, and earth.
The lands shape the urban mosaic of the Boulder Valley and provide citizens with passive recreation opportunities. Trails are used by walkers, hikers, bicyclists, horseback riders, dog walkers and other passive recreational uses.
Current Trail/Trailhead Closures
- Red Rocks area trails open, off-trail travel prohibited: Trails in the Red Rocks area are now open, but off-trail travel is prohibited while vegetation recovers from the Sunshine Fire.
- Lower Big Bluestem trail closed: This trail will be closed during the week for repair, but open on the weekends.
- Lion's Lair parking area closed: The parking area is temporarily closed for clean up after an accident.
- NCAR Bear Canyon, Mesa trail repairs and closures: NCAR Bear Canyon Trail and portions of the Mesa Trail are closed. Find closure details at bearcanyon.org.
- East Boulder/White Rocks Trail bridge closed
- Boulder Falls Trail closed
Boulder County fire ban enacted March 15: View more information on the fire ban.
Chautauqua Park improvements: Efforts to improve safety and accessibility at Chautauqua Park will begin on Monday, Dec. 26. Learn more.
Featured Projects & Pages
TOTAL FUNDS = $1.5 MILLION
View OSMP’s Osprey camera. Get a glimpse into the lives of a pair of Osprey nesting on OSMP. Watch them begin nesting, feeding and raising their young.
Information on how to register for the Voice and Sight Tag Program or renew your dogs' Voice and Sight Tags for 2017.
Summer jobs for teens! The Junior Ranger Program engages teens on OSMP to serve, discover and grow! Currently recruiting for all positions.
The City of Boulder has formed a working group that will review prairie dog management practices, and make recommendations to the city manager.
OSMP has designed a program to help visitors challenge themselves to hike all OSMP trails. Find tools to create your own personalized trail challenge!
OSMP is working on the Agricultural Resources Management Plan. Learn more about the plan.