Osprey, Northern Harrier & American Bittern Closures March 15 - Sept. 10
The following area on OSMP is closed every year from March 15 to Sept. 10 to protect nesting osprey and Northern Harrier:
- Axelson: Part of the Axelson property near the Boulder Reservoir is closed from March 15 to Sept. 10 every year to protect nesting osprey.
- Boulder Valley Ranch: An area on the west side of the pond adjacent to the Eagle Trail.
- Sawhill Ponds: The southwest corner of the Sawhill Ponds property, located west of 75th St. between Valmont and Jay.
The following areas on Parks & Recreation land are closed every year from March 15 to Sept. 10 to protect nesting osprey, northern harrier and American bittern:
- Boulder Reservoir (Little Dry Creek East) : East of 51st/55th Streets, south of private property on North 51st St., west of the Boulder Reservoir water body and north of the Boulder Reservoir Regional Park entrance.
- Boulder Reservoir (Little Dry Creek West) : West of 51st/55th Streets, south of the Eagle Trailhead, east of Boulder Valley Ranch and north of private property on Valhalla Drive.
- Boulder Reservoir (Dry Creek East) : East of 51st/55th Streets, south of Dry Creek, west of the Boulder Reservoir water body and north of the private property on North 51st St.
- Coot Lake : Within the wooden fence that surrounds the western portion of the Coot Lake area.
All designated trails near these areas remain open to help visitors view wildlife species as they thrive in their native habitats.
For 31 years, more than 100 dedicated volunteers have helped the City of Boulder monitor bird of prey nests found on city open space. Learn more about this important wildlife protection effort and these dedicated volunteers in the Safeguarding Boulder's Birds of Prey video series.