Settler's Park Trailhead
West end of Pearl Street at its junction with Canyon Boulevard.
Please check for Trail & Area Closures.
You are responsible for knowing and complying with all closures and OSMP rules & regulations.
Parking lot at trailhead.
Red Rocks Trail is 0.5 mi; 300ft. This area is actually a network of short trails. Starting at Settlers' Park, Red Rocks Trail goes north past a historic marker and gains a rocky ridge. It follows the ridge, and goes to the saddle to the right of the spectacular fins of Red Rocks. The trail continues down the ridge to end at Centennial Trailhead in the mouth of Sunshine Canyon on Mapleton Avenue.
This area is identified as being popular with people using wheelchairs. See the Accessible Trails Page for details.
An RTD bus passes very close to this trailhead. Learn about Taking the Bus to OSMP.
None (A set of multiple restrooms located approximately 0.25 miles north in Eben G. Fine Park).
Three picnic tables and two trash cans at trailhead.
No bicycles are allowed in this area.
Learn about bringing your dog to OSMP. All dogs must be leashed in the Trailhead Leash Area. Beyond the trailhead, dog control requirements vary from trail to trail, so carefully watch for dog regulation signs at trailheads and trail intersections. On most OSMP trails in this area, dogs must be on a hand-held leash at all times unless they meet the voice and sight control standard and display a City of Boulder Voice and Sight tag. Dog excrement removal is required by law. A dog station is available to aid in the collection of dog excrement.
Black bears, mountain lions and mule deer inhabit this area.
- Settlers' Park got its name because it was thought to be the location of the first permanent camp of American settlers in the Boulder area. The group pitched their tents at the base of the sheltering Red Rocks on Oct. 17, 1858. A group of about 24 men heading toward Cherry Creek-Auraria gold strikes broke away from their wagon train because one of their members, Captain Thomas Aikins, thought that the "mountain looked right for gold" in the foothills west of the Boulder area. Red Rocks was purchased in 1920 and 1926.