Car Seat Checks
Your children are important to you! They’re important to the Boulder Fire-Rescue too, which is why we have a team of car seat technicians. These trained specialists are available to teach parents how to safely install their car seats and ensure their child is as safe as possible while in it. This service is great for new parents, as well as people who just want to ‘double check’ that they are doing everything correctly.
During a car seat inspection, we will:
• Check the child safety seat to see that it has been properly installed.
• Diagnose problems.
• Ensure the child safety seat is not a recalled model.
• Advise on how to choose an age, height and weight appropriate child safety seat.
• Instruct and demonstrate how to install and use the appropriate child safety seat in the vehicle.
• Instruct and demonstrate how to correctly place a child in the appropriate child safety seat.
• Discuss other vehicles and child safety seats they own, and provide instructions to repeat the correct procedure with other seats or when installing the seat in other cars.
How it works:
• Car seat checks are done by appointment only. Each car seat appointment is approximately 25 mins.
• Bring your car seat, any accessories and attachments that came with it, the car seat installation instructions/manual, your vehicle owner's manual and, if possible, the child who will be using the seat.
• Please make sure that the seating area (vehicle seat & floorboard) of your car is clear of toys and food so that our technicians have enough space to work and instruct you on the installation of your child restraint(s).
• We will not work with child safety seats that are expired or more than 5 years past the manufacture date, if no expiration date is visible.
• Expectant parents should have the child safety seat checked at least one month before the baby is due.
• Please keep in mind that the firefighters are on-duty and may be called out to respond to a fire or other emergency. Your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated.