Open Space and Mountain Parks
Boulder's Open Space & Mountain Parks (OSMP) are a very special place. The open space lands teem with native plants and wildlife and are home to threatened and endangered species. They serve as a buffer between Boulder and nearby development. They sustain agriculture uses and add untold benefits to the natural environment - clean air, water, and earth.
The lands shape the urban mosaic of the Boulder Valley and provide citizens with passive recreation opportunities. Trails are used by walkers, hikers, bicyclists, horseback riders, dog walkers and other passive recreational uses.
Upcoming Trail/Trailhead Closures
OSMP will begin several large trail projects this spring. Learn more and view upcoming trail closures at osmpprojects.org.
Current Trail/Trailhead Closures
- Amphitheater Trail section closed: A small portion of the Amphitheater Trail is closed while a new bridge over Gregory Canyon Creek is constructed. Map of closure area
- Red Rocks area trails open, off-trail travel prohibited: Trails in the Red Rocks area are now open, but off-trail travel is prohibited while vegetation recovers from the Sunshine Fire.
- Lion's Lair parking area closed: The parking area is temporarily closed for clean up after an accident.
- NCAR Bear Canyon, Mesa trail repairs and closures: NCAR Bear Canyon Trail and portions of the Mesa Trail are closed. Find closure details at osmpprojects.org.
- East Boulder/White Rocks Trail bridge closed
- Boulder Falls Trail closed
Chautauqua Trail improvements: Starting as early as Monday, April 17, OSMP will begin work to repair a section of the Chautauqua Trail. The trail will remain open. Learn more about this project.
Chautauqua Park improvements: Efforts to improve safety and accessibility at Chautauqua Park will begin on Monday, Dec. 26. Learn more.
Featured Projects & Pages
The City of Boulder has formed a working group that will review prairie dog management practices, and make recommendations to the city manager.
View OSMP’s Osprey camera. Get a glimpse into the lives of a pair of Osprey nesting on OSMP. Watch them begin nesting, feeding and raising their young.
OSMP is working on the Agricultural Resources Management Plan. Learn more about the plan.
Information and instructions to obtain wood that is available to the public and a calendar showing wood availability.
Information on how to register for the Voice and Sight Tag Program or renew your dogs' Voice and Sight Tags for 2017.
OSMP has designed a program to help visitors challenge themselves to hike all OSMP trails. Find tools to create your own personalized trail challenge!