Open Space and Mountain Parks
Boulder's Open Space & Mountain Parks (OSMP) are a very special place. The open space lands teem with native plants and wildlife and are home to threatened and endangered species. They serve as a buffer between Boulder and nearby development. They sustain agriculture uses and add untold benefits to the natural environment - clean air, water, and earth.
The lands shape the urban mosaic of the Boulder Valley and provide citizens with passive recreation opportunities. Trails are used by walkers, hikers, bicyclists, horseback riders, dog walkers and other passive recreational uses.
Current Trail/Trailhead Closures
- Halfway House parking area weekday closures: The parking area is closed from 8 am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday.
- Intermittent closures on 1st/2nd Flatirons Trail: The 1st/2nd Flatirons trail will be closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 8 am - 4:30 pm.
- Chapman Drive and Tenderfoot Trails closed: The trails are closed into fall 2016 to repair erosion damage on Chapman Drive from the Sept. 2013 floods.
- East Boulder/White Rocks Trail bridge closed
- Boulder Falls Trail closed
- Anemone Hill closed - a portion of the trail is temporarily open for out and back use only
Upcoming Trail/Trailhead Closures
NCAR Bear Canyon, Mesa trail repairs and closures: Starting as early as Monday, Oct. 3, OSMP will begin to rebuild the NCAR-Bear Canyon Trail and a Mesa Trail section south of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). Learn more at bearcanyon.org.
Fire ban effective Oct. 22: A fire ban is in place for unincorporated Boulder County west of Highway 93/Broadway. More information.
Chautauqua Trail repairs: Starting as early as Tuesday, Sept. 27, OSMP will begin work to repair a section of the Chautauqua Trail. More information on the project.
Gregory Canyon Trailhead restroom closed: The Gregory Canyon Trailhead restroom is closed for maintenance.
Prescribed burn tentatively scheduled to occur on Shanahan Ridge: An 85-acre prescribed burn is tentatively planned to occur between Oct. 1 and Oct. 31. Learn more about the planned burn.
Featured Projects & Pages
Learn more about how the City of Boulder is working to prepare a new home for the Armory prairie dog colony on city open space.
OSMP is working on the Agricultural Resources Management Plan. Learn more about the plan.
Information on how to register for the Voice and Sight Tag Program or renew your dogs' Voice and Sight Tags for 2016.
A video series documenting the City of Boulder’s successful volunteer raptor monitoring program. Shot and edited by Megan King.
Information and instructions to obtain wood that is available to the public and a calendar showing wood availability.
OSMP is working with NIST to designate a trail system for visitor access and use in the NIST Protected Area.