Civic Area Parking
Municipal Building/North Library parking lot to close March 15 to 17
There will be a number of exciting milestones coming up in 2017, starting with the installation of the new 11th Street Pedestrian Spine Bridge, expected to be delivered to the site in March. The bridge components are expected to be delivered in three segments over a one-day period between Mar. 15 to 17, depending on manufacturing and delivery scheduling.
The city has assembled a series of maps to help visitors prepare for the upcoming parking and access configuration changes. Timetables are approximate, as the construction schedule will be weather dependent.
Click on the icon below to see full size version of maps
CURRENT to April 2017
April 2017 to June 2017
- Construction zone expands to include area immediately south of Boulder Creek.
- An additional 13 parking spaces close along the north end of the Library Lot (Arapahoe Ave.)
- 14 parking spaces reopen on the east end in the Municipal Building Lot.
July 2017 to December 2017
- New East-West pedestrian/bike route opens through area north of Boulder Creek.
- New North-South 11th Street Pedestrian Spine Bridge opens.
- New sidewalk opens from Canyon to Arapahoe.
- Park area closes south of Municipal Building
- Old Boulder Creek east pedestrian bridge to be removed.
Timetables are approximate, as construction schedule will be weather dependent. All construction activity has been carefully planned to minimize access impacts. Though there will be temporary inconveniences, all areas and buildings will still have access by pathways and allow for bicycle flow. Please adhere to detours which will be well-marked during construction phases. Thank you for your patience during this construction time. The final outcome will lead to a more dynamic, attractive and accessible Civic Area for the future!
To assist visitors to the Civic Area of the changes, all city buildings will have an updated construction flier available. As the construction phasing changes, the flyer will be updated to reflect the latest construction and parking configurations.
Please be aware of the following efforts that are in place to help reduce congestion in the Civic Area.
- The majority of the first phase of construction will occur during the winter months, which are typically the least busy times of the year for the park, with lower parking demand.
- The Main Library, New Britain Building and Park Central parking lots, all south of Boulder Creek, will remain open for parking throughout construction.
- Pedestrian bridge access over Boulder Creek will be maintained throughout much of construction, with some temporary closures to facilitate utility and stream bank work at the west bridge and installation of the new 11th Street bridge to the east. Detours of the multi-use path will be well marked and communicated.
- Additional accessible parking stalls have been installed along 11th Street, north of Canyon and adjacent to the mid-block crossing to the Municipal Building, to replace those impacted in the Municipal Building parking lot.
- Staff will be stationed in the parking lots during the initial work days of construction to assist community members with finding parking, information and other customer needs.
- The city is implementing additional and temporary incentives and measures to encourage city employees to utilize alternate transit and park in satellite locations to help ease the demand for parking in this central area.
More details about the ways the city is working to mitigate parking challenges is available on the Civic Area Parking Alternatives webpage.
The Civic Area parking plan has evolved over the course of the past two-years with several parking studies and changes to best accommodate competing needs. To see a complete history of the changes, please see the Civic Area Parking Newsroom.
General information on the entire project can be found at the main Civic Area Project webpage.