Flatirons Golf History and Sustainability
Flatirons Golf Course has a long and illustrious history as Boulder’s premier golf club. Architect William H. Tucker was commissioned by the members of the Boulder Country Club, located at 28th and Iris, to design the course in 1933. Five years later, with the help of President Roosevelt’s WPA (Works Progress Administration) program, the club relocated to the current location at 57th and Arapahoe Streets.
Known originally as the Boulder Municipal Sports Center, the golf course has had several name changes over the years;
- 1938-Boulder Municipal Sports Center
- 1939-The Boulder Golf Club
- 1945-The Country Club Golf Course
- 1956-The Boulder Country Club
- 1965-The University Club
- 1970-The Flatirons Country Club & The Boulder Municipal Golf Course
- 1986-The Flatirons Golf Course
Many players have teed off on the fairways at Flatirons, including Boulder resident and golf guru George Hoos, who worked as a caddy at the club during World War II. Hoos recalled what is now the front nine being fenced off and closed for play in order to provide cattle a grazing area to aid in the war effort.
Today, more than 50,000 rounds are played per year at Flatirons Golf Course. More than 1,000,000 rounds have been played since 1986 when the City of Boulder Parks and Recreation Department took over operations.
Flatirons Golf Course is owned and operated by the City of Boulder and is a fully certified member of the Audubon International Cooperative Sanctuary for Golf Courses. We are committed to operating with the highest level of environmental responsibility possible while still producing exceptional golf playing conditions.