The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • Parks and Recreation
  • Recreation Guide
  • Parks and Recreation Master Plan
  • Parks
  • Plans and Reports
  • Forestry and Horticulture
  • Recreation Programs
  • Recreation Facilities

Reservoir Boat Permits


We have re-evaluated and made available a limited number of additional small watercraft permits for 2019. These will be subject to availability.


What you will need to apply

  • Current State of CO Boat Registration
  • New insurance certificate
  • Have your insurance company fill out the affidavit of insurance pdf

Permit Information

  • See Aquatic Nuisance Species (ANS) Protocol pdf. To schedule a decontamination please call 303-441-3463.
  • All watercraft including sailboats, power boats, kayaks, canoes, kite boards, sailboards, etc., are required to have a valid Boulder Reservoir permit.
  • One permit is required per stand up paddle boards (SUP).
  • All 2019 permits and moorings will be valid through Dec 31, 2019.
  • No permits will be sold after May. 4, 2019 (At which time we will evaluate where we are with number of permits remaining and determine the possibility of additional sales.)
  • We do not sell permits on Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day.
  • Permits will be transferred on a case-by-case basis as approved by the Boulder Reservoir Manager.
  • To transfer a permit from one craft to another, a $50 transfer fee will be charged and the old permit must be submitted to Boulder Reservoir to obtain a new permit.
  • The Boulder Reservoir does not permit any personal water craft (PWC) for recreational use on the reservoir.
  • The Boulder Reservoir does not permit boats greater than 500HP.

Quiet Hours

All watercraft on Boulder Reservoir must remain wake less during quiet hours, with the exception of city-sanctioned activities and lake patrol operations.

  • Tuesday 5:30 a.m. -  noon
  • Wednesday 5:30 a.m. - 9 a.m.
  • Thursday 5 pm - 9 p.m.

Subscribe to this feed

Apply for a boat permit or small craft storage

See more articles like this