Go to the Forms and Applications Database to view the specific License Requirements for different types of contractors using the links in the related links section.
Any changes to business name, address, contact information or license type may be submitted via email. Visit the Contractor Licensing Renewal webpage to update or renew your contractor license via email.
A contractor license is valid for 12 months from date of issue. Renewal information may be submitted via email, however the license holder must pay the required fees via credit card by phone (303-441-1880) or fax (303-441-4241), or by check written to City of Boulder and mailed to City of Boulder Contractor Licensing, PO Box 791, Boulder, CO 80306.
Contractor licensing fees can be found in Sections 4-20-4, 4-20-13, 4-20-15, 4-20-21, and 4-20-56 of the Boulder Revised Code, or you may obtain a copy of the Schedule of Fees from our office, located at 1739 Broadway, third floor.
Locations and information regarding contractor license exams is available on the Contractor/Trades Exams page of the International Code Council (ICC) website.
Locations and information regarding International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) exams is available on the ISA website. For a Written Arborist Licensing Exam, contact the City of Boulder Urban Forestry Division at 303-441-4406.
Every contractor granted a license is required to maintain at all times a certificate of insurance showing the following information:
- City of Boulder, 1739 Broadway, third floor, PO Box 791, Boulder, CO 80306 as Certificate Holder and Additional Insured.
- The insured's name and address. The company name and address must be identical on the certificate of insurance, application and license.
- The insurance agent's name, business address, email and phone contact information.
- The policy number, limits and policy term.
- Public Liability Insurance minimum limit of $150,000 per person minimum limit of $600,000 per accident .
- Public Property Damage Insurance minimum limit of $100,000 per accident .
- Workers' Compensation Insurance as required by Colorado Revised Statutes for any employee other than the licensee.
- Surety Bond good for one year in the amount of $5,000 (Right-of-Way licenses only).
- An endorsement requiring 10 days notice by mail to the Planning and Development Services Center before the insurer may cancel the policy.
- Signature of the qualified agent must also be shown on the certificate.
The Boulder Revised Code (B.R.C 4-1-8) requires that the City of Boulder, its elected officials, and its employees be listed on the certificate as additional insured.
Visit the Hiring a Contractor webpage for lists of City of Boulder-licensed contractors. The city license for contractors requires testing, but this does not mean that the city endorses these businesses.