Register and manage your account through the Customer Self-Service Portal.
Online renewals are now available, access your account by clicking the button below.
- - Application and Renewal forms are available on the P&DS Forms and Applications Database under the Contractor Licensing category
- NEW - you can now renew online through your portal account!!
- - Submit applications by email to [email protected]
- - Submit a Contractor License Application for new licenses
- - Renew online or submit a Contractor License Renewal to renew an existing license
- - The Contractor Licensing Packet includes requirements for contractors.
For Quickest Processing of Your License
- - Create a Customer Self-Service account if you do not have one
- - Be sure to provide the same email you registered with on your application
- - Submit a COMPLETE application in a single submission, including copies of required certifications and insurance
- - Sending items separately will delay processing as licenses are issued in the order they are COMPLETELY received
- - A confirmation email will be sent with instructions for payment online by credit card or e-check
- - If you prefer to mail a check:
- make it payable to “City of Boulder"
- reference your license number or company name
- and mail to:
- City of Boulder Contractor Licensing
- PO Box 791
- Boulder, CO 80306
Fire Licenses are now processed through the Fire Department. The Fire Department will review your certifications and technical competence in the area of work to be considered as an acceptable qualification prior to issuing a license.
Please email your application to [email protected]
Classifications of Fire Contractor Licenses:
- Class A: fire sprinkler systems
- Class C: fire alarm system installations and servicing
- Class D: special hazard systems
Contractor Licensing fees are available in the Schedule of Fees, the Contractor Licensing Application, and the Contractor License Renewal each available at the Applications and Forms Database . Fees are updated annually in the Boulder Revised Code in Sections 4-20-4, 4-20-13, 4-20-15, 4-20-21, and 4-20-56.
The City of Boulder accepts industry certifications for all Contractor Licensing. We do not accept reciprocal jurisdiction licenses nor does the City of Boulder offer direct testing. You must submit your ICC certification, State of Colorado Electrical or Plumbing certification, or ISA Arborist certification with your contractor license application for your license to be issued.
Locations and information regarding International Code Council (ICC) contractor license exams is available on the ICCSafe.org website.
Locations and information regarding International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) exams is available on the ISA-Arbor.com website.
Every contractor granted a license is required to maintain a certificate of insurance showing the following information:
- General Liability Insurance - minimum limits of $1,000,000 per occurrence and a $2,000,000 aggregate limit
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance as required by Colorado Revised Statutes for any employee other than the licensee
- Certificate of Insurance must be submitted with the following information:
- The City of Boulder listed as additional insured for general liability
- The City of Boulder listed as certificate holder
- The insurance agent’s name and address
- The insured’s name and address – must match company name on the contractor license
- The policy number, limits and policy term
Depending on the scope of your project, licensed contractors may be required .
A city license for contractors means the contractor has met all requirements for that license type but does not mean that the city endorses these businesses.
- Licenses issued for the City of Boulder are for work being performed INSIDE city limits.
- If you are performing work outside of city limits, you may need a license for Boulder County
- The most common error for applications is insurance not listing the City of Boulder as additional insured on your COI – double check your application materials before submitting.