Deconstruction and Demolition Requirements
The City of Boulder regulates waste reuse and recycling for construction and demolition projects. These regulations apply to residential and commercial projects, as described in the city's 2020 Energy Conservation Code and Ordinance 8366 .
- Create a sustainable deconstruction plan prior to applying for a demolition permit
- Divert 75% from the landfill, by weight, of the materials generated from demolition/deconstruction projects (including concrete and asphalt)
- Submit a refundable deconstruction deposit of $1/sq. ft. (of the structure being taken down), with a $1,500 minimum
- Pay a $100 non-refundable administrative fee
Demolition Permit Application
The Historic Preservation Demolition Review Application is now separate from the Demolition Permit Application to streamline the application and reduce confusion around the two processes.
Deconstruction and Demolition Workflow
Before project begins
1. Complete the Sustainable Deconstruction Plan
- Identify your deconstruction waste recycling manager
- Estimate diversion rate for all applicable categories
- Create a plan with a deconstruction professional or on your own
2. Complete the Demolition Permit Application
- Email your completed Sustainable Deconstruction Plan and Demolition Permit Application to [email protected] .
- Get signature from the City of Boulder Zero Waste Team
- Obtain all other required signatures (Xcel, CDPHE, etc.)
- Remit fees and refundable Deconstruction Deposit to the city
While project is ongoing
1. Track all diversion throughout project
2. Keep all receipts for landfill, recycling, reuse and donation
3. Enter all weights into the Construction & Demolition Waste Diversion Tracking Form
- Estimate weights if receipts are not available
After project completion
1. Request your deposit refund
- Email receipts and tracking form to [email protected]
2. City team reviews diversion and calculates and processes your refund
3. City Finance Department issues your refund in the same manner it was paid
Questions and Resources
Send all emails and questions related to C&D waste recycling aspects of your project to [email protected].
The following links are additional resources to assist during your project: