Important Updates:

Get the latest coronavirus updates, including information on closures and work the city is doing to limit the spread of the virus. | More Info


The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • Planning and Development Services Online Center
  • Maps & Property Information
  • Customer Self Service Portal
  • Building Permits
  • Applications and Forms
  • Inspections
  • Development Review Projects
  • Codes and Regulations
  • Rental Housing Licensing
  • Contractor Licensing
  • Boards and Commissions
  • Affordable Housing

Expert Cooperative Housing Organizations

Expert Cooperative Housing Organization (ECHO)

On Jan. 17, 2017, City Council amended and passed Cooperative Housing Ordinance 8119, which allows cooperative housing in the City of Boulder. The ordinance provides that the city manager designates one or more ECHOs within 90 days after final adoption of the ordinance.

An ECHO is an organization recognized by the City Manager as having experience and expertise in the formation, operation and organization of cooperative housing units. The role of these organizations will be to train, verify legitimacy and provide recommendations to city staff regarding prospective cooperatives that have applied for a license from the city.

Application requirements for organizations seeking to be an ECHO include:

  1. A contractor licensing application, available at or the Planning & Development Services Center (1739 Broadway, third floor)
  2. Information related to training, education or experience of related staff or other representatives that qualifies the applicant organization as having expertise in the formation, operation and organization of cooperative housing units
  3. Criteria to be used to determine whether a cooperative is legitimate
  4. An example of a training plan used to ensure cooperatives’ legitimacy
  5. Certificate of insurance, as outlined in the contractor licensing handbook

ECHO Recommendation for Cooperative Housing Applicants

Applicants for a cooperative housing license are required to seek training and certification by an ECHO. An applicant shall submit evidence of such training and certification as part of an application for a cooperative housing license.

Contact one of the designated ECHO’s from the list below to schedule training and certification.

Expert Cooperative Housing Organizations Designated by the City of Boulder

Organization Address Email/Phone

Boulder Housing Coalition

 PO Box R Boulder, CO 80306

 [email protected]

Goose Creek Community Land Trust

815 North Street, Boulder CO 80302  [email protected], 303-545-6255