Hiring a Contractor
Depending on the scope of your project, licensed contractors may be required. Answer the questions below to find out if your project requires a professional or if you may do the work yourself.
You may be able to do the construction work yourself if your project meets one of the following criteria:
The work will be done on a single-family detached dwelling (single-family house) or on a single-family house’s accessory structures that you own and occupy as your primary or principal residence. All subcontractors must be licensed by the city; or
- You are a contractor with a current license in good standing with the City of Boulder and the scope of your project work is covered by your license. All subcontractors must be licensed by the city; or
- The property is not located in a public right-of-way.
If you do not meet either of these criteria, you must hire a City of Boulder licensed contractor.
A list of city licensed contractors is also available in the Planning & Development Services Center, 1739 Broadway, third floor. You can also find contractors in the local phone books and on the ICC website, but they must be licensed with the City of Boulder to perform the work.
If you do meet one of the above criteria and plan to do the work yourself, or if you plan to hire a licensed contractor, read the information listed below before you start the project.
Contractors - Licensed
Hiring A Contractor
Licensed Building Contractors
- Class A Licensed General Contractors
- Class B Licensed General Contractors
- Class C Licensed General Contractors
- Class D-1 Demolition and Moving Contractors
- Class D-2 Roofing Contractors
- Class D-3 Siding Contractors
- Class D-4 Landscaping, Irrigation and Site Work Contractors
- Class D-5 Detached One-Story Garages and Sheds Contractors
- Class D-6 Mobile Home Contractors
- Class D-7 Elevator and Escalator Contractors
- Class D-8 Requires a Permit and Inspection Contractors
- Class D-9 Home Inspector Contractors
- Class E Fences Contractors
- Class F Owner Builder Contractors
- Class G Energy Inspector Contractors