Important Updates:

Latest Updates Related to the Boulder Shooting and the Investigation. | More Info


The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • Planning and Development Services Online Center
  • Maps & Property Information
  • Customer Self Service Portal
  • Building Permits
  • Applications and Forms
  • Inspections
  • Development Review Projects
  • Codes and Regulations
  • Rental Housing Licensing
  • Contractor Licensing
  • Boards and Commissions
  • Affordable Housing

Hiring a Contractor

Hiring a Contractor

Documents that were previously on this page can now be accessed through the city's new Customer Self Service(CSS) portal. Click the button below to access the portal. Once in CSS, click Search. Select Professional License in the search field. On the License Type click the down arrow and select the license type to search. Click Search. The list of licensed contractors will be displayed below the search. Any lists you create can be exported.

Depending on the scope of your project, a licensed contractor may be required. Click below to find out if your project requires a professional or if you may do the work yourself.

May I do the construction work myself?

You may be able to do the construction work yourself if your project meets one of the following criteria:

  • The work will be done on a single-family detached dwelling (single-family house) or on a single-family house’s accessory structures that you own and occupy as your primary or principal residence. All subcontractors must be licensed by the city; or

  • You are a contractor with a current license in good standing with the City of Boulder and the scope of your project work is covered by your license. All subcontractors must be licensed by the city; or
  • The property is not located in a public right-of-way.

If you do not meet either of these criteria, you must hire a City of Boulder licensed contractor.

A list of city-licensed contractors is also available in the Planning & Development Services Center, 1739 Broadway, third floor. You can also find contractors in the local phone books and on the ICC website, but they must be licensed with the City of Boulder to perform the work.

If you do meet one of the above criteria and plan to do the work yourself, or if you plan to hire a licensed contractor, read the information listed below before you start the project.