Planning & Development Services Online Center
News & Updates
Throughout 2021, P&DS staff will be participating in intensive work efforts to bolster efficiency, streamline processes and improve service delivery.
Current Service Delivery Timing
- Application completeness checks: 8– 10 business days
- Email responses: 15-20 business days
- Single Trade Online Submittals: 2 business days
- Permit Review:
- New Construction Permits: 7 weeks
- Other Scopes of Work: 4 weeks
- Inspections: We are experiencing delays due to reduced staffing levels. We are actively working to fill these positions.
- Development Review and Plan Case: We are experiencing a heavy submittal volume – you may experience delays.
- Contractor Licensing: 1 business day
- Rental Licensing: 1 – 2 business days
Latest Process Improvements
- P&DS has adjusted the application process to move applications into review more quickly. Applications will now receive one completeness check before being routed for review.
- Tips for a successful submittal
- Have your materials prepared by someone familiar with Boulder’s regulations
- Refer to application checklists and guides in the Applications and Forms Database
- Incomplete application materials will result in delays
The City of Boulder recognizes the significant impact COVID-19 has had on the local business community. To support local business citywide while protecting customers and employees, the city has established this program to allow businesses to expand their space outdoors. The program includes:
- Temporary Outdoor Expansion Program
- Curbside Pick-Up Zone Program
- Temporary Outdoor Events for Private Property
Visit the Boulder Business Recovery webpage to learn more.
Single Trade Permits
Single trade permits may be submitted online through the customer self- service portal and are generally processed by the following business day. If you are the homeowner and plan to complete the work on your own, please submit a Homeowner Contractor License application to [email protected] prior to applying for a permit.
Single Trade Permits include:
- Fence and Wall
Permit applications include but are not limited to the following
Refer to the Online Permit Application Guide for information about how to submit the following
- Initial application NEW COMBINED APPLICATION AND COMPLETENESS CHECK PROCESS!! Refer to the How do I submit an initial application? section of the Online Permit Application Guide
- Revision to a previously approved scope of work
Daily inspection schedules are posted to the CSS each morning, please check the daily schedule on the CSS portal to confirm your scheduled inspection.
- Find the heading “Today’s Inspections”
- Click “View."
- The times listed on the schedule are not accurate representations of when an inspector may arrive on-site for an inspection. To estimate when the inspector may arrive, determine which stop number your site is in the “order” column for the assigned inspector.
If you need a more specific inspection time frame, please call the inspector assigned to your project. If you are unable to reach your inspector, please leave a detailed message, including your name, number, and site address, and they will return your call as soon as possible.
We are currently experiencing a heavy volume of Development Review and Plan Case submittals. To ensure your project does not get delayed, please submit a complete application, including all materials, and build time into your schedule to allow for the review process.
Deadlines for Complete Applications
- Application Deadline: Applications must be emailed to [email protected] by 10 a.m. on the due date to be included for review.
- Only complete applications will be accepted.
- Applications, materials and payments submitted after the deadline will be considered incomplete and will be routed on a future review track.
- Development Review and Plan Case applications include, but are not limited to:
- Administrative Review
- Land Use Review
- Technical Document Review
- Revocable Permits and Leases
- Historic Preservation
- Public Process Flood and Wetland Permits
- Temporary Outdoor Events
Refer to the Online Development Review Application Guide for additional information about how to submit application materials.
Posting Notice Signs
After your application has been routed for review, your case manager will notify you if you are required to post notice. Per the city’s code, posted notice must meet certain standards .
The Planning & Development Services Licensing team has adjusted our process to accept Rental Housing Licensing applications by email.
- In-home inspections of occupied rental units are allowed when following proper safety protocols and access is coordinated between landlords and tenants. An extension to submit your inspection is automatic to accommodate requests of tenants to postpone an inspector entering their home
- To remain in compliance, submit application paperwork by your expiration date to [email protected] and submit an inspection report within the 180-day extension
- The rental license handbook and applications are available at our Applications and Forms database
- Visit our Rental Housing Licensing page for more information
- Email [email protected] with any questions
The Planning & Development Services Licensing team has adjusted our process to accept new license applications electronically.
- The contractor license packet and applications are available at our Applications and Forms database
- Visit the Contractor License webpage for more information.
- Use the customer self- service portal for:
- Renewals (available within 30 days of expiration)
- Insurance form upload
- Email [email protected] to:
- Submit new application paperwork
- Submit insurance forms via email
- Ask questions
If you have received a notice of violation, please contact the code compliance specialist whose contact information is listed on the notice.
I Want To
Planning & Development Services (P&DS) Center
The City of Boulder is committed to community safety and is proactively taking steps to limit the spread of COVID-19. The P&DS Services Center is currently closed. We encourage you to use our online services on this webpage and through the customer self-service portal .
1739 Broadway, Third Floor
Boulder, CO 80302
General information: Use the resources at the top of the page
For planning, permitting and development questions use the Guided Request tool .
Administrative Review 2021 submittal calendar (Minor Modifications, Conditional Use, Accessory Dwelling Units, Pre-Application, Change of Address, Temporary Sales / Outdoor Events, Zoning Verification Letters, Revocable Right-of-way Permits)
Other City of Boulder departments:
Helpful Boulder County links for property information outside of the City of Boulder: