Important Updates:

The city has launched a beta to preview its new website and gather feedback. | More Info


The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • Planning and Development Services Online Center
  • Maps & Property Information
  • Customer Self Service Portal
  • Building Permits
  • Applications and Forms
  • Inspections
  • Development Review Projects
  • Codes and Regulations
  • Rental Housing Licensing
  • Contractor Licensing
  • Boards and Commissions
  • Affordable Housing

Right-of-Way Permits

Right-of-Way Permits

Latest News

Effective Jan. 1, 2021, the City of Boulder will no longer be supplying water meter parts such as yokes, pits/lids or tapping saddle parts to contractors. All contractors must obtain parts from their own suppliers that meet our Design and Construction Standards. Requests for water meter installations or taps will remain the same where contractors continue to call 303-441-3200 for scheduling purposes.

Any building contractors that paid for certain parts as part of the building permit review prior to Jan. 1, 2021 will be given a refund for the difference in costs and can do so by contacting [email protected].


Right-of-way areas are areas of land that are owned by the city for the purposes of constructing, operating and maintaining public facilities such as streets, alleys, sidewalks, bike paths, utilities and other public infrastructure.

In order to ensure that rights-of-way continue to serve their intended purposes, the city regulates most work in these areas through contractor licensing and construction permitting. In order to obtain a license to work in the public right-of-way, a contractor must provide proof of insurance, workers' compensation, and a surety bond. An annual fee is charged for the license, and additional fees are applicable to cover permit review and inspection costs associated with each project.

Work associated with residential construction projects within the public right-of-way must be performed by a licensed right-of-way contractor and be permitted by the city.

Examples of public right-of-way construction:

  • Utility mains and services
  • Fire Hydrants
  • Water meters
  • Sidewalks
  • Street cuts
  • Driveways
  • Curb cuts
  • Curb and gutter
  • Street & Alley paving

Because rights-of-way are the property of the city and not the adjacent land owner, they cannot be fenced off for private use. Property owners are responsible for some maintenance of the right-of-way adjacent to their property, including removing snow from sidewalks and mowing grass. Structural encroachments into the right-of-way are prohibited, and storage of construction materials requires a permit.

  • Right-of-Way Contractor License Application
  • Right-of-Way Permit
  • Commercial/Residential Meter Sizing
  • Water & Sewer P.I.F. Computation

All right-of-way permits and applications can be found in the Applications and Forms database.

Right of Way forms can be submitted and utility inspections may be requested through [email protected].