Important Updates:

Get the latest coronavirus updates, including information on closures and work the city is doing to limit the spread of the virus. | More Info


The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • Planning and Development Services Online Center
  • Maps & Property Information
  • Customer Self Service Portal
  • Building Permits
  • Applications and Forms
  • Inspections
  • Development Review Projects
  • Codes and Regulations
  • Rental Housing Licensing
  • Contractor Licensing
  • Boards and Commissions
  • Affordable Housing

SmartRegs Renter Information

SmartRegs Renter Information

How does SmartRegs affect me?

SmartRegs affects renters (or tenants) in various ways. First and foremost, the regulations ensure a basic standard of energy efficiency in all rental units within the City of Boulder. This benefit for renters also creates the opportunity for energy efficiency education. With more efficient units, energy savings will depend on renter behaviors. The city will provide energy saving resources to help ensure we all do our part.

The regulations also provide for enhanced life-safety provisions in obtaining and renewing rental licenses. The SmartRegs ordinances went into effect on Jan. 3, 2011.  All rentals shall be licensed, which ensures rental health and safety and energy efficiency standards verified.

Housing and Rental Licensing Code Changes

  • Enhanced life-safety provisions (i.e. carbon monoxide detectors etc.) have been added to the baseline and renewal checklists used for inspections. The inspections are required to obtain or renew a rental license.

If tenants feel the property does not meet the existing and/or new requirements, they are encouraged to contact their landlord to address concerns. Tenants can also work with the city's Community Mediation Program, to act as an intermediary between them and their landlord. Community Mediation can be reached at 303-441-4364. Tenants that attend the University of Colorado can also find tenant-landlord resources at the office of Off Campus Student Services.

If desired results are not achieved with the above actions, tenants can file a complaint through the city's Planning and Development Services Center at 303-441-1880.

Rental Property Information

  • Find out if your unit has a rental license
    ( Did You Know? All rental units in the City of Boulder are required to have a valid rental license)
    • Help a landlord out - view the rental license application process or call 303-441-3152.
    • Report an unlicensed rental property - complete the code violation report form or call 303-441-3239.

What can renters do to help?