Important Updates:

The city has launched a beta to preview its new website and gather feedback. | More Info


The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • Planning and Development Services Online Center
  • Maps & Property Information
  • Customer Self Service Portal
  • Building Permits
  • Applications and Forms
  • Inspections
  • Development Review Projects
  • Codes and Regulations
  • Rental Housing Licensing
  • Contractor Licensing
  • Boards and Commissions
  • Affordable Housing

Tree Contractor License

Tree Contractor License

Select the "Boulder Revised Code, Chapter 4-28: Tree Contractor License" link.

License Classifications

  • Licensed Tree Contractor - A professional engaged in the business of cutting, pruning, removing or applying pesticides to any tree(s) on private property within the City of Boulder limits for commercial gain and/or profit.
  • Certified Arborist - A licensed tree contractor who meets the qualifications set forth in subsection (a) or (b) of Boulder Revised Code, Chapter 4-28-4: License Application and Qualifications.

Applying for a Contractor License

  1. Complete a City of Boulder "Contractor License Application."
    1. To qualify as a certified arborist, applicants must show proof of current International Society of Arboriculture certification or an equivalent exam.
    2. The city manager may approve an application to be a "certified arborist" for persons that have demonstrated equivalent qualifications to those described in Boulder Revised Code Chapter 4-28-4.
    3. To qualify as a licensed tree contractor, a person must meet all requirements except those specified to become a certified arborist.
  2. Provide a current copy of a Certificate of Insurance.
  3. Pay the annual licensing fees.

Contractor Licensing Exams

For exam dates and locations, select the "International Society of Arboriculture" link. For a written arborist licensing exam, contact the City of Boulder Urban Forestry Division at 303-441-4406.