Tree Contractor License
Select the "Boulder Revised Code, Chapter 4-28: Tree Contractor License" link.
- Licensed Tree Contractor - A professional engaged in the business of cutting, pruning, removing or applying pesticides to any tree(s) on private property within the City of Boulder limits for commercial gain and/or profit.
- Certified Arborist - A licensed tree contractor who meets the qualifications set forth in subsection (a) or (b) of Boulder Revised Code, Chapter 4-28-4: License Application and Qualifications.
Applying for a Contractor License
Complete a City of Boulder "Contractor License Application."
- To qualify as a certified arborist, applicants must show proof of current International Society of Arboriculture certification or an equivalent exam.
- The city manager may approve an application to be a "certified arborist" for persons that have demonstrated equivalent qualifications to those described in Boulder Revised Code Chapter 4-28-4.
- To qualify as a licensed tree contractor, a person must meet all requirements except those specified to become a certified arborist.
- Provide a current copy of a Certificate of Insurance.
- Pay the annual licensing fees.
Contractor Licensing Exams
For exam dates and locations, select the "International Society of Arboriculture" link. For a written arborist licensing exam, contact the City of Boulder Urban Forestry Division at 303-441-4406.