Alpine-Balsam: Get Involved
Project Home | About | The Process | ►GET INVOLVED | Resources | Contact Us
- Thanks to all who provided feedback on the draft Alpine Balsam Vision Plan. A final version is available as part of the council packet for the May 2, 2017 meeting.
- Review the City Council's Feb.28 Study Session packet
- Review the Nov. 15, 2016 memo to City Council that includes an update about the Alpine-Balsam project.
- Read the the Alpine-Balsam project timeline .
The engagement activities have informed a set of preliminary guiding principles that will provide a framework for future planning activities.
- Create a place with a vibrant mix of uses - Replace the hospital with buildings and public open space that are more compatible with a walkable urban fabric: city offices, space for local small business, community space and additional retail and commercial.
- Build in affordability and sustainability - Respond to the community’s interest in affordable housing by exploring diverse affordable and moderate income housing options, together with strategies that support affordable living and local small business creation; respond to broad support for a “reasonable” amount of increased density, replacing surface parking with beneficial community uses as well as for an approach that builds in and modeled “best practices” in sustainable development, such as energy performance, zero waste infrastructure and support for alternative modes.
- Respect and respond to the sites; physical environment - Ensure planning, programming, and design for the site takes into account the site’s physical surroundings, including issues such as edge conditions, stream and watershed issues, open space, views, and roadway conditions.
These preliminary principles are based on current site analysis and community feedback.
What We've Heard So Far...
You've already shared memories, hopes, history, and ideas to capture the history and character of areas surrounding the BCH-broadway campus. Keep sharing your stories with the project team.
On Jan. 18, 2017, the city hosted a community workshop. Participants considered questions like: W hat’s the right mix of uses for the Alpine-Balsam site? How much affordable housing, green space, retail space or other uses should be there? Where should city facilities be located? Through hands-on activities, participants brainstormed how the site might be redeveloped. You can view a summary of the event.
The preliminary guiding principles (above) for redevelopment of the site (above) respond to community feedback collected so far. Want to review the feedback that was shared? Check out the following documents: