From May 2018 to May 2019, the city is working with the community to create an Area Plan for the Alpine-Balsam site. Use this webpage to learn more about the Area Plan process, including history of the site, previous planning that has taken place, and the latest updates on how to get involved.
Announcements & Latest News
On Nov. 13, city staff shared with council scenarios for the Alpine-Balsam site and provided information on the hospital deconstruction process. You can review the Nov. 13 City Council Memo and Study Session Summary.
On Oct. 29, the city held a workshop where community members viewed scenarios that illustrated five trade-offs that will need to be made related to the city-owned property.
You can review highlights below and a summary of the workshop. You can also review the results of the online feedback opportunity.
- Housing was reaffirmed as a desired use for the site and people acknowledged the need to consolidate civic facilities at Alpine-Balsam.
- Many people expressed support for including a variety of building heights and types as well as the mixed intensity scenarios.
- Some people were supportive of considering higher intensity housing because it would help achieve a significant amount of housing, while others thought that level of intensity would be extremely out of character for the area.
- There was limited support for building parking structures or having a lot of surface parking, but people indicated the need for strong transportation demand management (TDM) to offer choices to residents and in order to prevent spillover parking the adjacent neighborhoods.
- People were generally supportive of flood detention in North Boulder Park – as long as the Park remains functional and maintains existing programming – in order to allow for more development capacity on the Alpine-Balsam site.
- Several participants had concerns, or “sticker shock” to the preliminary range of cost estimates. Others viewed this project as a long-term community investment recognizing that the costs are normal for this type of development.
In December 2015, the City of Boulder purchased 8.8-acres of property from Boulder Community Health. The properties include the entire hospital campus site at 1100 Balsam Ave. (the corner of Balsam Avenue and Broadway), as well as two properties on Alpine Avenue and two small properties on North Street.
Alpine-Balsam Vision Plan
From fall 2016 through spring 2017, the city worked with the community to develop a Vision Plan for the city-purchased site, also known as Alpine-Balsam. The Alpine-Balsam Vision Plan is intended to guide the transformation of the site; it identifies the desired future for Alpine-Balsam and its surroundings, with Guiding Principles to inform future planning and development.
Alpine-Balsam Area Plan
The next step for the Alpine-Balsam site is the creation of an Area Plan to provide more detailed guidance for future development of the site and surrounding area. The Area Plan process will take place from Spring 2018 through mid-2019, and will include a range of community engagement events to help shape the final plan.
The Area Plan process will be guided by the Alpine-Balsam Vision Plan, but will provide a greater level of detail on the desired character and scale, land uses, and the location of streets, paths, parking, public spaces and public buildings. The Area Plan will also address the economic and financial viability of the development options to ensure the site development is feasible and will contribute to the city’s prosperity.
The city needs your input to help shape the Area Plan! Throughout the Area Plan process, there will be a range of opportunities to get involved, including online and at face-to-face events. Details for these events will be posted on this webpage and announced in the Planning Newsletter. Sign up for the Planning Newsletter today to receive bi-monthly updates!