Alpine-Balsam Area Plan | Deconstruction
Phase I: Interior Deconstruction
- Interior deconstruction of the Pavilion building has begun and will continue through 2020
Phase 2: Exterior Deconstruction
- Timing TBD
Alpine Balsam Area-Plan Adopted
The Alpine-Balsam Area Plan, adopted by City Council on Oct. 1, 2019, offers an opportunity to further the city's access, mobility, sustainability and climate goals. The plan is intended for use by the public, business and property owners, the city and community partners. The plan is a guide for the area's future and will inform decisions about private development, public facilities and services in the area. It balances many factors and strikes a compromise on density and use to ensure the area remains a lively neighborhood center.
The plan includes:
- Land use changes for city-owned properties, including renovation of the medical pavilion at the corner of Alpine and Broadway for a new city services center
- A mix of permanently affordable and market rate multi-family housing
- Improvements for all modes of transportation to make travel around the area safer, more pleasant and easier, especially for pedestrians and cyclists
- A flood mitigation approach along the northern side of the city's site that will convey floodwaters during storms. The approach will double as a landscaped greenway
- Criteria for further exploring the viability of Boulder County services moving to Alpine-Balsam from their current North Broadway campus
View the final Alpine-Balsam Area Plan
Nov. 15, 2016: City Council Meeting
This memo provided an update on the Alpine Balsam project and related projects, highlighting their inter-relationships and timing, and council feedback on key findings, recommendations and planned next steps for the remainder of 2016 and 2017.
Sept. 15, 2015: City Council Meeting
The Boulder City Council authorized the sale of up to $41 million in certificates of participation to use toward the final purchase of the Boulder Community Health/Broadway Campus purchase and redevelopment.
Aug. 27, 2015: City Council Special Session
Discussion of Boulder Community Health Phase I Environmental Assessment at beginning of Boulder City Council Special Session. Members gave the City Attorney the authority to negotiate a extension with Boulder Community Health on the $3 million earnest money deadline. The city needs the additional time to complete environmental assessments at the BCH campus site. This extension does NOT effect the timetable to complete the purchase transaction by mid-December.
Jul. 14, 2015: City Council Special Session
This special session of the Boulder City Council was called on short notice to allow Council Members to vote to approve the acquisition of the BCH site at Broadway and Balsam.
The Executive Summary and the Boulder Municipal Property Authority Agenda contain information on the Issuance of Certificates of Participation.
Jun. 16, 2015: City Council Study Session