Civic Area Map Room
Civic Area Park Construction Phasing: Parking & Pathway Access
The City of Boulder has assembled a series of maps that will help visitors prepare for the upcoming parking and access configuration changes beginning in late 2016.
Click on the map icons below to see full size version of maps.
Thanksgiving Week 2016 to mid-February 2017 (Now Complete)
- 39 parking spaces located on the east end in the Municipal Building Lot will close (19 temporary + 20 permanent). ADA spots moved to nearby locations to still allow access to city buildings. (The Civic Master Plan ultimately envisions enhanced access to the park with parking redistributed to bookend areas in order to repurpose land for the park-at-the-core.)
Construction fencing installed around the closed parking area and closed construction zone denoted in orange.
Anticipated start day for large-equipment site work is week after Thanksgiving.
February 2017 to April 2017 (Now Complete)
April 2017 to June 2017 (Now Complete)
- Construction zone expands to include area immediately south of Boulder Creek.
- An additional 13 parking spaces close along the north end of the Library Lot (Arapahoe Ave.)
- 14 parking spaces reopen on the east end in the Municipal Building Lot.
CURRENT to Summer 2017
- After the existing pedestrian bridge is removed, the expanded closure area will remain in place to allow for the construction of a new pedestrian path under the new 11th Street Spine bridge, as well as work related to multi-use path connections, streambank stabilization and utility relocations.
- The new 11th Street Spine pedestrian bridge will remain open throughout this phase of construction.
- Access between the Municipal Building, the Park Central Building, and the New Britain Building will be at the far north and south approaches to the 11th Street Spine bridge, over both the smaller 60-foot bridge span over a future park pathway and the longer 90-foot bridge span over Boulder Creek. At this point, there are no intermediate access points between the bridge spans. In the future, the final design will include the option to access the bridge between both spans.
Mid-July 2017 to December 2017 (Tentative)
- New East-West pedestrian/bike route opens through area north of Boulder Creek.
- New North-South 11th Street Pedestrian Spine Bridge opens.
- New sidewalk opens from Canyon to Arapahoe.
- Park area closes south of Municipal Building
- Old Boulder Creek east pedestrian bridge to be removed.
Timetables are approximate, as construction schedule will be weather dependent. All construction activity has been carefully planned to minimize access impacts. Though there will be temporary inconveniences, all areas and buildings will still have access by pathways and allow for bicycle flow. Please adhere to detours which will be well-marked during construction phases. Thank you for your patience during this construction time. The final outcome will lead to a more dynamic, attractive and accessible Civic Area for the future!