Citizen's Police Academy
Have you ever wondered what it’s like to be a police officer?
Each year the Boulder Police Department offers its community member’s a Citizens’ Police Academy to promote cooperation, education, understanding of police operations and an opportunity to talk directly with all levels of law enforcement.
Coordinator Karen MacPherson
The Boulder Police Department Citizen’s Police Academy offers the following:
- SWAT/Bomb Team Presentation
- Indoor Firing Range Training
- Boulder County Jail Tour
- Ride-alongs with on-duty police officers
- Investigative techniques and DUI Investigations
- Identity Theft
- Crime Scene Investigation and Processing
- Introduction to prosecution, the courts and trials
The Boulder Police Department desires that graduates of the academy have in increased awareness of the responsibilities and operations of law enforcement. Graduates of the Boulder Citizens' Police Academy may continue their public safety education by joining its alumni association which offers monthly programs. Speakers from a variety of emergency response agencies explain their duties, safety tips, challenges and answer questions.
The Boulder Police Department conducts Citizens’ Police Academy annually in the fall. The academy is 13 weeks in length, typically the first week of September to the first week of December with classes meeting on Wednesday evenings from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at the City of Boulder Public Safety Building, 1805 33rd Street, Boulder, CO 80301.
- 2018 Schedule - Sept. 5th to Dec. 5th with a break over Thanksgiving
(No cost to attend and class size is limited to 20 participants.)
Citizens Police Academy Application
All applicants will undergo a criminal history background evaluation. (Application is linked in the right-hand column. Print and email to [email protected])
Interested candidates for the Citizens’ Police Academy must meet the following criteria:
- Complete an application and liability waiver
- Must live or work in Boulder County
- No misdemeanor arrests within three years of application
- No prior felony arrests or convictions
- Must not be a registered sex offender
- Minimum age of 18 years old