The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • Police Newsroom
  • Police Blotter and Call Logs
  • Request Records
  • Emergency Alert Sign Up
  • Crime Maps and Statistics
  • File Online Police Report
  • Sex Offender Registry

July 10, 2014 - TJ the Beagle Reunited With Owner After Seven Weeks

Media Contacts:
Laurie Ogden, Boulder Police, 303-441-3310

TJ the Beagle Reunited with Owner after Seven Weeks

Yesterday, Wednesday, July 9, at 4:45 p.m. Boulder Animal Control Officers responded to the area of 15th Street and Lee Hill Road after receiving a report of a dog being struck by a car.  The officers located a beagle-mix with severe leg injuries.  While preparing the dog for transport to a veterinary clinic, they scanned him and discovered a microchip, which provided information about the owner.

During the transport to the emergency vet clinic, officers contacted David Snyder of Fort Collins, who informed them “TJ” a four-year-old Beagle-mix, had been missing for seven weeks.  He was ecstatic that his dog had been found. Mr. Snyder told Boulder officers he notified Fort Collins Animal Control, the local Humane Society and had posted flyers when the dog went missing.  For several weeks, he received calls from people saying the dog had been sighted but attempts to catch him failed.  Mr. Snyder even spotted the animal himself in LaPorte, CO but TJ managed to escape.  He told officers the sightings stopped on June 8 and after that he believed the dog had been hit by a car or killed by another animal.

Boulder Animal Control began getting calls about a dog-at-large in the area of 15th Street and Lee Hill Road about three weeks ago.  They attempted to capture the dog on numerous occasions and even set a large dog trap to no avail.  They were unaware the beagle was missing from Fort Collins until yesterday.  Upon speaking with Mr. Snyder he believes TJ had quite the adventure, traveling on foot from Fort Collins to LaPorte then headed south to Boulder.   

Although TJ’s injuries are severe and may require a partial amputation of one of his legs, it is believed he will survive. He and Mr. Snyder are now back home where TJ will receive follow up veterinary care.   A photo is attached.

View Full Site