Words and dialogue are not enough. This is a time for action. The Boulder Police Department is committed to creating a roadmap to reform. This is intended to be a multi-faceted approach – and to be successful, we will need to make progress on all fronts. This page will be updated periodically as this work progresses.
Boulder Police Chief Maris Herold joined the Boulder Police Department on April 20, 2020. She has done extensive work in the areas of police reform and community building. Under her leadership the department has already begun to think critically about what needs to change about our system and culture to demonstrate policing at its finest.
Dec. 1, 2020 Police Chief Maris Herold Update to City Council on Police Reform
Related City Resources
- Police Oversight Task Force https://bouldercolorado.gov/city-manager/police-oversight-task-force
- Independent Police Monitor https://bouldercolorado.gov/city-manager/independent-police-monitor
- Racial Equity https://bouldercolorado.gov/racial-equity
- Police Executive Research Forum https://www.policeforum.org/
- Final Report for the Comprehensive Review of the University of Cincinnati Police Department https://www.uc.edu/content/dam/refresh/publicsafety-62/docs/reform/exiger-report.pdf
- ICAT: Integrating Communications, Assessment and Tactics: A Training Guide for Defusing Critical Incidents https://www.policeforum.org/icat-training-guide