In December 2020, both City Council and Planning Board approved the 2020 Mid-Term Update to the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan.
The Boulder County Planning Commission approved the changes that require four-body approval. The final review and approval meeting will take place on Mar. 2 at 1 p.m. with the Boulder County Board of County Commissioners.
Mid-term changes include updates to the land use and planning area maps, as well as policy and text changes.
Changes to Area I and II that require City Planning Board and City Council approval:
- Properties in the area described as Phase 2A of the Transit Village Area Plan along 30th Street and Valmont Road: Change to Mixed Use Business. Read the staff report .
- Alpine-Balsam City-Owned Properties: Change to Mixed Use Business and High Density Residential. Read the staff report .
- 1345 S. Broadway / Mt. Hope Church: No change. Read the staff report .
- 6500 Odell Place: Change to High Density Residential. Read the staff report .
- 3015-3055 47th St.: Change to Transitional Business. Read the staff report .
- Hillside Road: Correct errors and change portions of parcels to Low Density Residential and Public. Read the staff report .
- Minor Adjustments to the Service Area to reflect the 2016 voter approved Blue Line, including Area I, II, III Map changes from Area III-Rural Reservation to Area II and Land Use designation assignment in of Low Density Residential for select properties. Read the staff report.
Changes to Area II and III properties that require city and county approval:
- Service Area Contraction to reflect the 2016 voter approved Blue Line including Area I, II, III Map changes from Area I to Area III – Annex and Area II to Area III – Rural Preservation for city Open Space and Mountain Parks properties. Read the staff report .
- Land Use changes for recently acquired city Open Space properties. Read the staff report .
Policy and Text changes:
- Policy and Text changes to reflect adopted policies and plans since the last update. Read the staff report.
The Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan (BVCP) is used by the City of Boulder and Boulder County to guide long-range planning, the review of development proposals and other activities that shape the built and natural environments in the Boulder Valley. The plan helps the community create and preserve a sustainable future for the Boulder Valley and a high quality of life.
The mid-term update, a routine process to ensure the BVCP incorporates recent area plans and current maps, is taking place in 2020. The mid-term update reviews progress made against objectives identified in the last major plan update, provides an opportunity for the public to request changes to the plan that do not involve significant city and county resources and makes minor additions or clarifications to the policy section.
This summer, Planning Board conducted the screen process to determine proposed amendments for further consideration and City Council held a public hearing and provided direction on the BVCP Mid-Term Update screening process. Council approved staff’s and Planning Board’s recommend list of change requests to move forward for further consideration.
Community-Requested Changes for Consideration
1590 Hillside Road
Evaluate r e quest ed change from the property-owner to correct mapping errors of inaccurately applied Public (PUB) and Low Density Residential (LR) land uses.
3015-3055 47th Street
Evaluate r equest ed change from the property-owner for land use amendment from Medium Density Residential (MR) to a Business Land Use to more accurately align with existing commercial uses.
1345 S. Broadway
Evaluate r equest ed change from the property-owner, Mt. Hope Lutheran Church, for land use amendment from Low Density Residential (LR) to a higher density residential or mixed-use land use to support community-serving new uses on the vacant portions of the property. Neighborhood engagement will explore opportunities and impacts and determine if a change would provide a community benefit.
Staff-Initiated Changes for Consideration
6500 Odell Place
- 6500 Odell Place
- Read the Odell Place Information Sheet.
Evaluate potential land use change for the currently vacant parcel at 6500 Odell Place to support permanently affordable housing. Community engagement and e valuation to determine if a land use designation change to support permanently affordable housing aligns with the Gunbarrel Community Center Plan goals area and vision for the area.
Alpine-Balsam Area Plan
- Read the Alpine-Balsam Information Sheet.
Implement recommended land use changes and guide infrastructure improvement planning and future zoning based on approved 2019 Alpine-Balsam Area Plan for city-owned properties.
Transit Village Area Plan
- Phase 2A of the Transit Village Area Plan Implementation , located at the west side of 30th Street between Valmont and Pearl streets.
- Read the Transit Village Area Plan Information Sheet.
Evaluate and implement the recommended land use changes and guide infrastructure improvement planning from the 2007 Transit Village Area Plan for this phase of the plan.
- Reflect recent completed Open Space acquisitions.
Current BVCP Maps & Resources
- View the BVCP Future Land Use Map .
- View the BVCP Planning Areas Map .
- View the Interactive City Map .
- View the Dec.3, 2019 project memo to City Council .
- View this summary chart for more information on approvals and criteria for changes to the BVCP.
View the BVCP Mid-Term Update FAQ.
Staff evaluated each request from the Public Application Process to determine if it met the criteria for BVCP changes to be considered in the Mid-Term Update. Several requests focused on zoning. The Mid-Term Update process concentrates on changes to the BVCP Land Uses. BVCP Land Use designations include broad categories for types of use and density and inform more specific zoning regulations. In areas where BVCP land use is changed, rezoning may be implemented as a next step.
Click on each link below to view the plan change application and staff recommendation for each request.
- Plan Change Request #1: East Ridge
- Plan Change Request #2: Hillside Road
- Plan Change Request #3: North Street
- Plan Change Request #4: Transit Village
- Plan Change Request #5: 47th Street
- Plan Change Request #6: Diagonal
- Plan Change Request #7: S. Broadway
- Plan Change Request #8: Public and Open Space Review
- Plan Change Request #9: Meadow Avenue
- Plan Change Request #10-12: Twin Lakes and Kalua Roads
- Plan Change Request #13: Flood Plain and Groundwater
Plan Change Requests Map
The Public Application Process for plan change requests is now closed. Click on a point on the map below to view the application for that location.
Newsletter & Contact
Thoughts or questions? Email BVCPchanges@bouldercolorado.gov
- Sign-up to receive planning updates from the City of Boulder
- City of Boulder: Jean Gatza, GatzaJ@bouldercolorado.gov, 303-441-4907
- Boulder County: Alberto De Los Rios, ADeLosRios@bouldercounty.org, 720-564-2623
All emails sent to firstname.lastname@example.org are public record. To improve transparency, the city posts all emails sent to the council email address online . The archive includes emails sent by community members to City Council as well as staff and council responses to those emails; the city does not redact any content in these emails.