Walks and Chats with Council
In 2019 City Council committed continue trying new approaches to engage community members who do not typically participate in council matters and meetings.
Purpose of Chats and Walks:
To give community members who do not typically participate in more formal council settings a convenient, drop-in opportunity to engage with their elected officials. These engagement opportunities are designed to promote short, two-way conversations about issues that matter most to residents and others in the city. The idea originated from council members, who are often as frustrated as community members by the lack of time to have meaningful conversations during open comment or public hearings.
What to Expect:
There will be one to three council members at each session, with no formal agenda or presentation. Community members are welcome to come by anytime during sessions and stay for as long -- or as short -- as they wish.
If everyone participating wants to discuss one topic, the conversations can be more in-depth. If there are a variety of topics participants wish to discuss, it will be important to make space for those. If there is a large crowd, the city will ask community members to rotate through to allow for maximum participation. Council members could also decide to break into smaller groups if crowd size is an issue.
If a group wishes to utilize chats and walks as an opportunity to share a collective perspective, the city asks they designate one or two members to attend, with a promise to report back to the larger group.
The city is happy to provide an interpreter for anyone who wishes to attend and participate in a language other than English. In order to allow time to book this resource, please email Taylor Reimann at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than three days before the event.
Upcoming Chats and Walks with Council
- August 31 Chat with Council from 11:15-1:15 p.m.
- With Naropa's Welcome Week Student Organization Fair
- Location: 2130 Arapahoe Ave, Boulder, CO 80302
- Joined by Council Members Nicole Speer and Matt Benjamin
- September 10 Chat with Council from 11-3 p.m.
- With Orchard Grove Community Resource Fiesta and Recycling/Clean-Up Day
- Location: 3003 Valmont Road, Boulder, CO, 80301
- Joined by Mayor Aaron Brockett and Council Members Nicole Speer and Mark Wallach
- September 23 Chat with Council from 4-6:30 p.m.
- With Book Rick Environment Event and residents of Boulder Housing Partners
- Location: 4929 Broadway #E, Boulder 80304
- Joined by Mayor Aaron Brockett and Council Member Nicole Speer
- October 1 Walk with Council from 10-12 p.m.
- With Boulder residents
- Route: CU South property
- Joined by Mayor Pro Tem Rachel Friend and Council Member Matt Benjamin