Boulder Building Performance Efficiency Requirements
The Building Performance Ordinance requires each affected commercial and industrial building owner to implement efficiency actions over a phased timeline. These actions are:
- Perform Energy Assessments Every 10 Years
- Implement One-time Lighting Upgrades
- Perform Retrocommissioning (RCx) Every 10 Years
- Implement Cost Effective RCx Measures
The efficiency requirements are phased in based on building size with June 1 deadlines of the year listed below.
|Requirement||Existing Buildings ≥ 50,000 sf, New Buildings 1 ≥ 10,000 sf, City Buildings ≥ 5,000 sf||Existing Buildings ≥ 30,000 sf||Existing Buildings ≥ 20,000 sf|
|Implement Cost Effective RCx Measures||2023||2025||2027|
1 New Construction Buildings are those permitted since January 2014.
- Efficiency Requirements How-to Guide - Provides guidance and recommendations for completing the energy assessments.
- Cost Estimation Tool - A resource for building owners to estimate the costs of required energy assessments and retrocommissioning.
- Service Providers - Information on finding and selecting a Service Provider.
- Deadline Extension Request - Deadline extensions may be available. Submit the request online for review.
- Exemption Reference Guide and Exemption Request Form - Efficiency requirement exemptions may be available if a building can demonstrate a high level of performance.
- Submit Compliance: