Boulder Building Performance Efficiency Requirements
BUILDING PERFORMANCE ORDINANCE (BPO) UPDATE as of June 10, 2020:
The City of Boulder is committed to its core value of community safety and is proactively taking steps to limit the community spread of COVID-19. Given the current pandemic situation, the city has extended the deadline for compliance with BPO’s Rating and Reporting requirement for buildings sized 20,000 square feet and up.
September 1, 2020 is the new deadline for compliance with BPO’s Rating and Reporting requirement for the January 1 to December 31, 2019 time period. Official Notices of Affected Properties have been mailed.
The Building Performance Ordinance requires each affected commercial and industrial building owner to implement efficiency actions over a phased timeline. These actions are:
- Perform Energy Assessments Every 10 Years
- Implement One-time Lighting Upgrades
- Perform Retrocommissioning (RCx) Every 10 Years
- Implement Cost Effective RCx Measures
The efficiency requirements are phased in based on building size with June 1 deadlines of the year listed below.
|Requirement||Existing Buildings ≥ 50,000 sf, New Buildings 1 ≥ 10,000 sf, City Buildings ≥ 5,000 sf||Existing Buildings ≥ 30,000 sf||Existing Buildings ≥ 20,000 sf|
|Implement Cost Effective RCx Measures||2023||2025||2027|
1 New Construction Buildings are those permitted since January 2014.
- Efficiency Requirements How-to Guide - Provides guidance and recommendations for completing the energy assessments.
- Cost Estimation Tool - A resource for building owners to estimate the costs of required energy assessments and retrocommissioning.
- Service Providers - Information on finding and selecting a Service Provider.
- Deadline Extension Request - Deadline extensions may be available. Submit the request online for review.
- Exemption Reference Guide and Exemption Request Form - Efficiency requirement exemptions may be available if a building can demonstrate a high level of performance.
- Submit Compliance: