Boulder Building Performance
Boulder Building Performance Program
- Note: Due to the federal government shutdown, ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager is temporarily unavailable.
- The lighing requirements were amended in Nov. 2018. Please review the requirements in the city code before completing your lighting upgrade for compliance. See the Efficiency Requirements webpage for more information.
- The 2019 Affected Building List has been posted.
- Energy assessments for buildings 50,000 sf and larger are due June 1, 2019. View the quick reference steps for complying with the 2019 requirement. More information on the upcoming energy assessment deadline can be found under Efficiency Requirements.
In support of community energy and climate goals, the Boulder City Council adopted the Boulder Building Performance Ordinance (Ordinance No. 8071) on Oct. 20, 2015. These rating and reporting and energy efficiency requirements move beyond current voluntary programs to require actions that reduce energy use and improve the quality of Boulder’s commercial and industrial building stock.
Read the City Manager Rule, which interprets and further defines provisions of this ordinance.
View the Boulder Building Performance infographic for a quick overview of the requirements and compliance timeline.
View the Building Performance Map for compliance results.
This ordinance requires privately-owned commercial and industrial buildings and city-owned buildings to do the following:
- Annually Rate & Report (R&R) building energy use; and
- Implement Efficiency Requirements, including:
- Perform energy assessments (EA) every ten years;
- Perform retrocommissioning (RCx) every ten years and implement cost effective RCx measures within two years of the study; and
- Implement one-time lighting upgrades.
Deadlines for each requirement are listed by affected building type and square footage (SF) below.
|Requirement||Existing Buildings ≥ 50,000 SF 1 , New Buildings 2 ≥ 10,000 SF, City Buildings ≥ 5,000 SF||Existing Buildings ≥ 30,000 SF||Existing Buildings ≥ 20,000 SF|
|Annual Rating and Reporting Begins||2016||2018||2020|
|First Energy Assessments Due and Public Disclosure Begins||2019||2021||2023|
|Lighting Upgrades Due and First RCx Due||2021||2023||2025|
|Implementation of RCx Measures Due||2023||2025||2027|
1 Large Industrial Campuses have custom requirements and timelines.
2 This refers to any commercial or industrial building for which an initial building permit was issued on or after Jan. 31, 2014.
If you are the owner of an affected building, you are required to rate and report building energy data and complete efficiency actions by the deadlines posted (see above). Failure to do so can result in fines of $0.0025 per square foot up to $1,000 per day of non-compliance.
Any tenant of an owner subject to the provisions of this chapter shall, within 30 days of a request, provide to the owner any information that cannot otherwise be acquired by the owner and that is needed to comply with the provisions of this chapter. Failure to do so may result in similar fines.
View the following pages for detailed information, resources, forms and guidance for complying with the ordinance requirements:
Note: Large Industrial Campuses have custom requirements and timelines.
For information on training, rebates and incentives, please see Resources.
For information on finding or becoming a Qualified Service Provider, please see Service Providers.
For information on the history of the Building Performance Ordinance and other similar programs around the country, please see Background.
See Frequently Asked Questions for more information.