The City of Boulder welcomes your feedback. Use our Inquire Boulder customer service tool to tell us what’s on your mind.

  • Energy Efficiency
  • Solar Home
  • Energy Future
  • Climate Commitment
  • Boulder Building Performance
  • Water Conservation

Boulder Building Performance

Boulder Building Performance

Boulder Building Performance Program

Program Updates

  • Time is running out to reserve a 20% rebate pdf for a Level II energy assessment due June 1, 2019. View the quick reference steps pdf for complying with the 2019 Level II energy assessment requirement. More information on the upcoming energy assessment deadline can be found under Efficiency Requirements.


In support of community energy and climate goals, the Boulder City Council adopted the Boulder Building Performance Ordinance (Ordinance No. 8071) on Oct. 20, 2015. These rating and reporting and energy efficiency requirements move beyond current voluntary programs to require actions that reduce energy use and improve the quality of Boulder’s commercial and industrial building stock. The city manager is authorized to adopt Rules necessary in order to interpret, further define, or implement provisions of this ordinance. 

View the Boulder Building Performance infographic for a quick overview of the requirements and compliance timeline.

View the Building Performance Map for compliance results.

Ordinance Requirements

This ordinance requires privately-owned commercial and industrial buildings and city-owned buildings to do the following:

  1. Annually Rate & Report (R&R) building energy use; and
  2. Implement Efficiency Requirements, including:
    • Perform energy assessments (EA) every ten years;
    • Perform retrocommissioning (RCx) every ten years and implement cost effective RCx measures within two years of the study; and
    • Implement one-time lighting upgrades.


Deadlines for each requirement are listed by affected building type and square footage (SF) below.

Requirement Existing Buildings ≥ 50,000 SF 1 , New Buildings 2 ≥ 10,000 SF, City Buildings ≥ 5,000 SF Existing Buildings ≥ 30,000 SF Existing Buildings ≥ 20,000 SF
Rating and Reporting 2016 2018 2020
Energy Assessments and Public Disclosure 2019 2021 2023
Lighting Upgrades and RCx 2021 2023 2025
Implement RCx Measures 2023 2025 2027

1 Large Industrial Campuses have custom requirements and timelines.

2 This refers to any commercial or industrial building for which an initial building permit was issued on or after Jan. 31, 2014.


If you are the  owner of an affected building, you are required to rate and report building energy data and complete efficiency actions by the deadlines posted (see above). Failure to do so can result in fines of $0.0025 per square foot up to $1,000 per day of non-compliance.

Any  tenant  of an owner subject to the provisions of this chapter shall, within 30 days of a request, provide to the owner any information that cannot otherwise be acquired by the owner and that is needed to comply with the provisions of this chapter. Failure to do so may result in similar fines.

How to Comply

View the following pages for detailed information, resources, forms and guidance for complying with the ordinance requirements:

Note: Large Industrial Campuses have custom requirements and timelines.

Program Reports

The 2015/2016 Building Performance Program Report pdf provides rating and reporting findings from the first year of the program. 

Individual reporting from Large Industrial Campuses is available under Public Narratives. 

Additional Information

For information on training, rebates and incentives, please see Resources.

For information on finding or becoming a Qualified Service Provider, please see Service Providers.

For information on  the history of the Building Performance Ordinance and other similar programs around the country, please see Background.

See Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

View Full Site