Boulder Building Performance Rating & Reporting
RATING & REPORTING
The Building Performance Ordinance requires each affected commercial and industrial building owner to Rate whole-building energy use with the approved tools and Rep ort this energy use to the city annually.
Rating and reporting requirements are phased in based on building size.
Deadlines are June 1 each year beginning the year identified below.
Existing Buildings ≥ 50,000 SF; City-owned Buildings ≥ 5,000; New Construction Buildings ≥ 10,000 1
|Existing Buildings ≥ 30,000 SF||Existing Buildings ≥ 20,000 SF|
|Annul Rating and Reporting Begins||2016||2018||2020|
|Public Disclosure Begins||2019||2021||2023|
1 New Construction Buildings are those permitted since January 2014.
Help Desk - Services include assistance using Portfolio Manager, connecting with Xcel Energy's automatic data upload, and applying for exemptions or deadline extensions. Contact the Help Desk 8am-5pm MDT at [email protected] or (844) 811-8785.
For one-on-one assistance with the benchmarking process, schedule a phone appointment with the Help Desk. During phone appointments the help desk has the ability to set up a screen share application to view and edit your Portfolio Manager account with you.
- Submit Energy Report to City - The link to submit the 2020 energy data
- First Time Reporting Checklist - A list of the Rating & Reporting compliance steps.
- Reporting Refresher - A refresher on how to report your energy use each year.
- How-to Guide - Provides detailed instructions for Rating & Reporting energy data through ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager.*
- Steps to Submit Energy Report - Step-by-step guide to submit the annual energy report to the city.
- Transferring Ownership in Portfolio Manager - If you sold your building, how to transfer the building to the new owner in Portfolio Manager.
- ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager - EPA's free online tool for Rating & Reporting whole-building energy use. Additional guidance and resources for using Portfolio Manager are available in Resources.
- Xcel Energy Benchmarking Portal - Automatically uploads whole-building energy data directly into ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager (for energy supplied by Xcel Energy).
- Deadline Extension Request - Deadline extensions may be available. Submit the request online for review.
- Exemption Reference Guide and Exemption Request Form - Rating and Reporting exemptions may be available if a building is unconditioned and unlit; has operated less than a year based on the Certificate of Occupancy; or has proof of financial hardship.
- Tenant Data Collection Worksheets - Worksheets to collect the property details necessary to set up the building in Portfolio Manager for rating and reporting.
*Manufacturing and industrial buildings have alternative tools available for completing annual rating and reporting. Please contact the Help Desk 8am-5pm MDT at [email protected] or (844) 811-8785 for more information.
The city will disclose affected building energy performance metrics after a two-year grace period. These metrics will be disclosed on the Building Performance Map. City-owned building energy metrics are currently publicly disclosed on this map.
Any information submitted to the city, including information shared during the grace period, will be subject to the Colorado Open Records Act (CORA). Building owners concerned about their information being subject to a CORA request during the grace period or thereafter can apply for a public disclosure exemption. If the exemption is approved, the city will withhold the information from any CORA request. If you have questions on CORA, please view this additional information.
Rating and Reporting a Complex Building
Arapahoe Village Shopping Center - Review the recommendations, challenges, and lessons learned from completing the rating and reporting process on a complex strip mall with multiple tenants and energy meters.
Interpreting Rating and Reporting Results
Conscience Bay - Read how a leader among Boulder's large property companies has benefitted from efficiency, solar and electric vehicle upgrades.